Wikia

Elder Scrolls

Kodlak Whitemane

Talk0
26,062pages on
this wiki
Kodlak Whitemane
Kodlak Whitemane
Race Nord
Gender Male
Level PCx1.1 (10-50)
Class Warrior
Location Jorrvaskr, Whiterun
Faction The Companions
The Circle
Rank Harbinger
Essential Always
Ref ID 0001A68F
Base ID 0009700E
Quotebg.png
"Some nights, I dream about the mists of Sovngarde."
―Kodlak Whitemane[src]

Kodlak Whitemane is the Harbinger of the Companions in Whiterun. As Harbinger, he does not give orders, but his word is highly respected in Jorrvaskr and across all nine holds of Skyrim. Kodlak is also a member of the Circle, though he wishes to be rid of his lycanthropy. Upon death, a werewolf's soul goes to the Daedric Prince Hircine's hunting grounds. Kodlak does not wish for this to be his fate, and instead wants his soul to go to Sovngarde, the Nordic afterlife. 

If the Companions questline is completed, the Dragonborn becomes Harbinger and cleanses Kodlak of his Lycanthropy. He can be seen in Sovngarde among the other lost spirits that are trapped in the mist formed by Alduin.

BackgroundEdit

For twenty years, Kodlak has commanded the Companions, balancing his tactical skill, ferocity in combat, and commanding presence. But those days are drawing to a close. At some point before the return of the dragons, Kodlak's condition reached its final stages of deterioration. He became weak in body, and his frustration showed. He took to locking himself behind closed doors, poring over old documents, desperate to cure himself of lycanthropy.

Just before the arrival of the Dragonborn, a dream came to Kodlak. As he describes in his journal, he dreamed of Tsun denying the former Harbingers access to Shor's Hall, where honored heroes gather. One by one, their wolf spirit drags them to Hircine, to hunt with him forever. Kodlak helplessly watches as his turn comes and his beast attacks him. However, a stranger arrives to protect him. This person drives back the beast and saves his soul. After seeing the Dragonborn for the first time, Kodlak recognizes them as that person and allows the Dragonborn to become a Companion.

PersonalityEdit

Kodlak Whitemane proves to be a benign and wise individual for such a rowdy group. As Harbinger, he is the one that helps channel the Companions' skills in a way that can benefit Skyrim's people, rather than leaving them to brawl and drink all day long. His wisdom is respected throughout the nine holds as well. When the Dragonborn first meets Kodlak, he is in his twilight years. He has lost his will to win glory in battle, partially because his body cannot allow it. He hints annoyance at this limitation, but he never openly complains.

Kodlak proves to be very wise and perceptive. He could see the Dragonborn's potential instantly, aside from the fact he had seen them in a dream. His awareness is also very clear when he discovers the secret campaign to avenge Skjor. He informs the Dragonborn that the circle of retribution will turn on them and that they have taken more blood than honor demands. Kodlak's foresight is proven correct by the Silver Hand's attack on Jorrvaskr. His observation on honor is very definitive as well; while he grieves at Skjor's loss, he does not condone unnecessary bloodshed as it is dishonorable. He explains how wrong it can be to react in fury and grief, and he follows this statement. Even with his stern disapproval, Kodlak is not angry with the Dragonborn's actions and gives the Dragonborn a chance for redemption.

Stoic in disposition, Kodlak can be very withdrawn at times. During the storyline, the Dragonborn learns that he is haunted by the thought of joining Hircine in the afterlife. As a true Nord, he wishes to go to Sovngarde, and he persistently devotes his time to trying to find a cure.

InteractionsEdit

Take Up ArmsEdit

As the Dragonborn enters Jorrvaskr, they can ask one of the Companions on how to join. Every one of them will say that they need to speak with Kodlak, the Harbinger. Should the Dragonborn decide to find him, he will first be seen talking with Vilkas about his lycanthropy. If the Dragonborn asks him about joining the Companions, he will immediately accept them, deeming them worthy. Vilkas, however, disagrees and is surprised at Kodlak's decision. Kodlak will then tell Vilkas to spar with the Dragonborn out in the courtyard to test their strength.

Blood's HonorEdit

In this quest, Kodlak tells the Dragonborn to kill the Glenmoril Witches and take one of their heads, so that Kodlak can cure himself of lycanthropy and get into Sovngarde. While returning to Jorrvaskr after slaying the Glenmoril Witches, the Dragonborn finds out that the Silver Hand attacked the mead hall. Upon entering Jorrvaskr, Kodlak is found dead, and the pieces of Wuuthrad, stolen. Vilkas then claims his death wil be avenged, and he and the Dragonborn set out to recover the stolen pieces of Wuuthrad.

Glory of the DeadEdit

The Dragonborn must attend Kodlak's funeral at the Skyforge. Afterwards, the Circle's members gather in the Underforge, to discuss on curing Kodlak's spirit of lycanthropy. They set out to Ysgramor's Tomb, where the ritual can be performed. After throwing a Glenmoril Witch Head at the fire in the depths of the tomb, Kodlak's wolf spirit appears. Defeating it will cure Kodlak's lycanthropy, granting him access to the Nordic afterlife, Sovngarde. Kodlak's spirit then briefly appears to grant the Dragonborn the title of Harbinger of the Companions.

QuestsEdit

GalleryEdit

TriviaEdit

  • He was voiced by Michael Donovan.
  • During the quest Glory of the Dead, the last shard of Wuuthrad must be taken from Kodlak's end table. Kodlak's Journal is also there, which records Kodlak's thoughts on the Dragonborn and other members of the Circle as they progress through the story of the Companion's main quest line.
  • Kodlak's name is most likely drawn from the word "vukodlak" or "vlkodlak" which means "werewolf" in some Slavic languages such as Bosnian, Croatian, Czech, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, etc.
  • If the Dragonborn has completed the Companions main quest line before going to Sovngarde, Kodlak can be found there, outside the Hall of Valor.
  • After completing the quest Glory of the Dead, Kodlak's spirit will mention a "great harrowing," a gathering of the heroes of Sovngarde to rescue the werewolves in Hircine's hunting ground. No such quest exists at this time.
  • Kodlak is never seen again after the completion of Dragonslayer and Glory of the Dead, yet Farkas will still mention him in reference to the Dragonborn being Harbinger.
  • Kodlak is hiding in Ysgramor's tomb with other Harbingers (that Vignar Greymane could see but not the Dragonborn) because they don't want Hircine to find them and claim their souls to hunt with him.
  • If the Dragonborn runs ahead of the Heroes of the Dragon War to face Alduin alone, it is possible that Kodlak will charge in to assist in fighting him.
  • Kodlak is never seen equipped with a weapon, however a steel warhammer can be seen in his room. Upon arriving back to Jorrvaskr after the Silver Hand attack, the very same warhammer can be found next to Kodlak's body, indicating that it might have been his weapon despite the fact that there are no Skyforge steel warhammers.
  • Once the Dragonborn accepts Kodlak's request to recover the Glenmoril Witch Heads during Blood's Honor, he will reveal that he is a worshipper of Talos, despite admitting that he (like several other Companions) is neutral on the Civil War between the Imperial Legion and the Stormcloaks.

BugsEdit

  •  360   PS3  After completing the Proving Honor quest, there may be no conversation option about the werewolves. Apparently, the The Horn of Jurgen Windcaller quest must be unfinished to trigger this bug.
  • Sometimes when Kodlak Whitemane dies, looting will not be possible. This will automatically fix itself if the Dragonborn leaves before talking to a member of the Circle.
  • During the Glory of the Dead quest, his name might show up in the journal as "Kodak Whitman".
  • Sometimes, when Kodlak Whitemane dies, he will have no equipment on him, making it pointless to loot his corpse.

AppearancesEdit

Start a Discussion Discussions about Kodlak Whitemane

  • Skjor and Kodlak Inconsistency

    36 messages
    • Warriorcatkid wrote:Lord Hadron wrote:I disagree. They're just weak, and insecure about it. Now I, I could take on 40 Orc Berserkers, wit my b...
    • 203.217.38.47 wrote:Warriorcatkid wrote:Lord Hadron wrote:I disagree. They're just weak, and insecure about it. Now I, I could take on 40 ...

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki