|Laid to Rest|
|Quest Giver||Jarl Idgrod Ravencrone/Jarl Sorli the Builder|
Innkeeper at Morthal
Laid to Rest is a quest that takes place in the city of Morthal and can be obtained by speaking with the innkeeper, who will mention the burned down house nearby. Alternatively, Jarl Idgrod Ravencrone (or Jarl Sorli the Builder if the dragonborn sided with the Stormcloaks during the Civil War) can be confronted directly regarding the subject. Also if the dragonborn uses a Shout in the presence of a guard (using Whirlwind Sprint, Ice Form, or Unrelenting force are confirmed) the guard will talk to the Dragonborn to stop it, after which the guard can be asked about the fire.
NOTE: The dragonborn may have to "enter" the burned down house, in order for the innkeeper to have the dialogue option to speak with the Jarl.
- Talk to the Jarl
- Investigate the Burned House
- Find Helgi after dark
- Talk to Thonnir
- Investigate Alva's House
- Show Alva's Journal to the Jarl
- Kill the Master Vampire
- Return to the Jarl
Talk to the JarlEdit
When asked about the burned down house, the Jarl will indicate that the house had once belonged to Hroggar and that one night the house had burned down while he was away. Unfortunately, Hroggar's wife and daughter, Helgi, had perished in the blaze and rumors around town cite that Hroggar had set the blaze himself so that he could be with another woman, Alva. The Jarl wishes to know what really happened, accident or murder.
Investigate the Burned HouseEdit
Upon entering the burned out house, Helgi's ghost will be waiting in the corner. She recounts what little she knows but promises to reveal more after a game of hide and seek. She wants to wait until nightfall however, as "the other one" will be playing too and only comes out at night.
Find Helgi After DarkEdit
Helgi, or rather her grave and coffin, can be found west of town: close by, northwest of her burned house. The Jarl reveals the location if the Dragonborn asks about it (speaking to the Inns landlady about the ghost she will prompt you to speak to the Jarl). However, it has been exhumed by Laelette, the missing wife of Thonnir. Laelette will attack when approached and is in fact a Vampire. Once Laelette is dead, Helgi will explain from within her coffin that Laelette was supposed to burn her and her mother, but had a change of heart and tried to turn Helgi beforehand and keep her forever. Although Helgi had felt the cold kiss of Vampirism, it is likely that Laelette had not waited long enough and the fire had killed Helgi regardless. Though, it said in Alva's Journal, that she never knew how to "Turn" anyone properly.
Ask Thonnir about LaeletteEdit
Thonnir will likely happen upon the grisly scene and be hysterical at the sight of his dead vampire wife. When asked about the circumstances of Laelette's disappearance, Thonnir will state that he had believed that she had run off to join the Stormcloak rebellion. Though he also remembers that she had been spending a lot of time with Alva who, just the week prior, Laelette despised. In fact, she was supposed to meet Alva the night of her disappearance but Alva had said she never showed up. Given the circumstances, it is presumable that Alva is in fact a vampire as well.
Investigate Alva's HouseEdit
Hroggar is staying in Alva's house and will likely be there upon arrival. He will be immediately aggressive so a high sneak skill, invisibility, a calming spell or some other such tactic may be employed if an armed confrontation is to be avoided. Alva's coffin can be found in the basement and in it, Alva's Journal. Alva may or may not be present depending on whether it is day or night. The journal goes into great detail of her plans and reveals that Movarth, a master vampire, plans on turning the town into what equates to blood farm for his coven of vampires.
Show Alva's journal to the JarlEdit
Returning to the Jarl with the journal will prompt her to ask that the master vampire be dealt with so such an awful fate not befall Morthal.
Kill the Master VampireEditUpon leaving Highmoon Hall, a mob with Thonnir in the lead has assembled to assist in taking retribution on the Vampires. Travel northeast to Movarth's Lair where Movarth Piquine lies in wait. The townsfolk can either be told to stay, as they will likely die, or Thonnir may come. Vampire Thralls serve as guardians to the small coven of vampires. Movarth can be found sitting at a large banquet table, counting coin and living large.
If you are struggling to kill the Master Vampire, you can retreat through the cave. There is a point where the Master Vampire and his Thralls do not go past - the room with the dead Nord and Redguard in an open grave is safe. You can use this point to retreat, wait and heal yourself. Be aware that the Nord, Redguard, and Vampire Thralls (once killed) can sometimes be brought back to life temporarily by Movarth or the Thralls and will start attacking you.
If you have a high sneaking level you can sneak up on the left when entering the cave where Movarth sits. From up there, you can shoot him and the Vampire Thrall with a bow. They won't find you.
Return to Morthal's JarlEdit
Once Movarth has been dispatched and his coven eradicated, return to the Jarl for a reward. In addition to the gold, the Jarl will offer the title of Thane of Hjaalmarch provided three people in the hold are assisted with their troubles (if you completed The Battle for Fort Snowhawk, the title will already be available to you).
A mysterious fire killed Hroggar's wife and child. Hroggar took Alva as a lover immediately after the fire, and many in town think he did it. The Jarl might pay me to investigate it.
Morthal's Jarl has asked me to investigate the fire that killed Hroggar's wife and child. Hroggar took Alva as a lover immediately after the fire, and many in town think he did it.
Morthal's Jarl has asked me to investigate the fire that killed Hroggar's wife and child. Hroggar took Alva as a lover immediately afterward. I suspect she may be a vampire, but I need proof for the Jarl.
Morthal's Jarl has asked me to investigate the fire that killed Hroggar's wife and child. The vampire Alva enslaved Hroggar and had his family killed in a house fire. Alva's master in Movarth's Lair plans to enslave the entire town.
Morthal's Jarl has asked me to investigate the fire that killed Hroggar's wife and child. The vampire Alva enslaved Hroggar and had his family killed in a house fire. Alva's master in Movarth's Lair plans to enslave the entire town. The Jarl now wants me to destroy Movarth and put an end to his plot.
Morthal's Jarl asked me to investigate the house fire that killed Hroggar's wife and child. The vampire Alva enslaved Hroggar and had his family killed in a house fire. Alva's master in Movarth's Lair planned to enslave the entire town.
Notes and ReferencesEdit
- If both Alva and Hroggar were killed during the break in, stealing from their house, even without witnesses, can earn a visit from Hired Thugs with a contract put out by dead Hroggar.
- If Alva is killed but Hroggar is left alive during the break in, subsequent attempts to speak with Hroggar will cause him to become outraged at the Dragonborn and immediately attack.
- It is possible for both Alva and Hroggar to survive after completion of the quest. This can be done if the player enters Alva's house at night and wounds Hroggar to the point where he is yielding and kneeling. This will give the player time to swiftly retrieve Alva's diary in the next room and exit the house thereafter. Hroggar shouldn't pursue the player outside. He will be non-hostile and he'll even thank the player once the quest is successfully completed, even though Alva will still be living in the same house.
- It is possible to take the journal whilst leaving Alva alive, for example by using "Voice of the Emperor." She will stand in Morthal until the journal is handed to the Jarl, after which she will run to Movarth's Lair and either take sides with the vampires there or be killed by them. It seems Hroggar will thank you and remain non-hostile as long as Alva did not die at your hands during the penultimate stage of the quest.
- If you enter Alva's house before you assault Movarth's Lair and during the day, she might be in her coffin in the cellar. If your sneak skill is high enough, you can kill her in her coffin before she attacks. You can then take her Tavern Clothes, which are rare.
- If Alva is not in killed before the assault on Movarth's Lair, then it is possible to find her there, if the assault occurs at night.
- If Benor is your follower during this quest he will still join the mob. He will join you again after the sequence outside Movarth's Lair. If you enter Movarth's Lair before talking to the mob outside, he will not follow you. You will have to exit the lair and speak to the people of the mob before he will follow you.
- If you speak to Thonnir outside Movarth's Lair, the dialog will give you the option of having him join you (and your follower, if you have one with you) in the assault on the lair. The other members of the mob return home.
- There is a chance to upgrade the Ebony Blade in this quest. Simply sell some firewood to Hroggar before breaking into Alva's house and then kill him with the Ebony Blade.
This section contains bugs related to Laid to Rest. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
|Click to show|