An Imperial outpost once stood on the western shore of the lake, until it crumbled into it. Many believed the building was haunted and avoided it, until Malyn Varen settled in the ruins to experiment with Azura's Star.
The lake is one of the largest inland bodies of water in Skyrim, comparable in size only to Lake Honrich. It is the source of the White River, the longest river of Skyrim. Some shoreline structures have been swallowed by the lake or collapsed into the lake over the years. Ilinalta's Deep is the most well known collapse due to the strange nature of the disaster. Malyn Varen later settled his necromancer cult in the flooded ruins. Then there also is the wreck of The Silvermoon, which has been sitting on the seabed of Lake Ilinalta for a very long time.
- There is an unmarked ruin in the lake to the southwest of Anise's Cabin.
- The Dragonborn may build Lakeview Manor on land south of the lake with the Hearthfire add-on.
- The Lake is dotted with numerous hunter camps.
- On the eastern end of the lake there are two small islands, the most easterly of the two has one corundum ore vein and a clay deposit (with Hearthfire installed) next to a small tree.
- The Guardian Stones are on the eastern shore of the lake up a small slope.
- There is an unmarked shipwreck south of the Lady Stone. However, it is unknown how it got there, considering the lake is landlocked and the White River is too shallow to allow any ships through.