|Letter of Inheritance|
|Title: Letter of Inheritance|
|Full Title: Letter of Inheritance|
|Author: Varies, all in the name of a Jarl.|
| Weight: |
| Value: |
- Main article: Books (Skyrim)
The letter is sent after the death of a follower, spouse, or other individual the Dragonborn has befriended. The letter may be sent even if the Dragonborn kills the individual.
<Character's name>, In the name of <Jarl's name>, it is with great regret that we inform you of <NPC's name>'s death.
The deceased has bequeathed unto you a measure of inheritance in the amount of <number> gold pieces.
The Jarl's court has levied an amount of <number> gold pieces from the sum, as the lawfully and honorably due tax. The remainder has been commended unto the care of a trusted courier for deliverance.
While all of the Jarl's court grieves with you on this day, we rejoice in the knowledge that the deceased was in possession of dear friends and wealth to communicate unto them.
May this lawfully bestowed inheritance prove as a reminder of your enduring faith in one another, and of the Jarl's beneficence accorded unto you both.
- Some characters, from whom the Dragonborn can receive inheritance upon their deaths, can die from what seems to be unknown reasons; however, in some cases there are circumstances that allow the character's death when the player gets close enough to the character's location and hostiles spawn nearby even if the player isn't necessarily at the character's exact location. ( e.g. while on the road, or anywhere near Kolskeggr Mine, the Forsworn, despite having been previously cleared from the area, will respawn and can kill Pavo Attius and/or Gat gro-Shargakh who returned to the mine after the Dragonborn cleared it of hostiles.)
This section contains bugs related to Letter of Inheritance. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Sometimes, the letter will say nothing but "In the name of Jarl."
- Occasionally, the letter says [...] in place of the Jarl's or spouse's name as well as the amount of gold inherited.
- Sometimes a letter will be received about a character that can't die, and they will later be found alive.
It is possible, if more than one Letter of Inheritance is held, for the letters to "stack". If this happens, the content of the letters will change to match that of the first Letter of Inheritance received.
- This may be caused by the quest, "The Mind of Madness", which removes the Dragonborn's inventory temporarily.