When cast, it creates a bolt of lightning that does 25 points of damage to Health, and half that to Magicka. Casting this spell causes a bolt of electricity to fling at the intended target. Unlike Sparks, which sprays a jet of electricity continuously, Lightning Bolt must be charged momentarily, then fired. Lightning Bolt is also a possible enchantment for staves.
- With the Destruction perk "Augmented Shock", damage done by Lightning bolt increases by 25%, whether dually or singly cast, for the first point invested and 50% for the second.
- "Impact" causes a target to stagger when Destruction spells are dual-wielded (but not the continual-cast spells, i.e., Flames, Sparks, Frostbite).
- "Disintegrate" causes targets with low Health to be instantly killed when hit with shock damage.
- Weight: 1
- Value: 95
- See Spell Tome for a complete table of spell tomes, their descriptions, and their values.
- Court Wizards sell this spell tome.
- Sometimes found on hostile mages.
- May be found in chests.
- Faralda at the College of Winterhold also sells this spell.
- Lightning Bolt damages both Health and Magicka when cast, making the spell effective against mages.
- Lightning Bolt is a great spell to use against non-hostile or airborne Dragons, since the spell does not arc like an arrow, and it reaches its target instantly, unlike Firebolt or Ice Spike. However, Lightning Bolt does have a definitive range, and sometimes the dragon needs to be close enough to hit with the spell.
- Conjured Storm Atronachs and Storm Thralls are resistant to shock damage, so misfired Lightning Bolts do not harm them as much as other summoned Daedra.
- If the Dragonborn uses the spell just before a dragon shouts, the dragon will be prevented from doing so, though this is only true when dual-cast in conjunction with the Impact perk. Charge and maintain the dual-cast until the dragon breathes in or rears its head back in preparation for a dragon breath, then release the spell to stagger the dragon.
- Lightning Bolt will strike a target immediately when cast, unlike Ice Spike or Firebolt, which makes it useful for firing at enemies from long-range.
- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- The Elder Scrolls: Legends
|Arniel's Convection • Blizzard • Chain Lightning • Fire Storm • Fireball • Firebolt • Fire Rune • Flame Cloak • Flames • Frost Cloak • Frostbite • Frost Rune • Ice Spike • Ice Storm • Incinerate • Icy Spear • Lightning Bolt • Lightning Cloak • Lightning Rune • Lightning Storm • Sparks • Thunderbolt • Wall of Flames • Wall of Frost • Wall of Storms • Vampiric Drain|
|Freeze • Ignite • Whirlwind Cloak|
|Schools of Magic|
|Alteration • Conjuration • Destruction • Illusion • Restoration|
|Destruction Ritual Spell • Magicka • Perks • Magic • College of Winterhold • Destruction trainers • Runes • Disintegrate|