Lock is a magical effect and a spell that secures doors and containers. Its magnitude directly corresponds to the lock level placed on the object. This effect occurs instantaneously and does not require a duration. Objects remain secured unless unlocked with a key, lockpick, or spell. Lock is a member of the Alteration school of magic, governed by Willpower. Its base Magicka cost is 2 points.
Lock can be used on most containers, including those that are rarely or never found locked by default (such as barrels, sacks, and urns). It cannot be used on doors that lead to a different area.
This effect can be used for several purposes:
- When preparing to commit a crime it can be used to lock nearby interior doors, preventing people from entering the room and witnessing the ensuing events.
- When preparing to commit murder, doors can be locked to prevent escape should things go awry and the intended victim attempts to flee.
- When being chased, it can be used to lock an interior door behind the Nerevarine, halting the pursuit. Most people, including guards and Ordinators do not have the means or tendency to unlock doors.
- As an effect with a low Magicka base cost, it can be used to efficiently train Alteration skill. Lock can be cast repeatedly on the same object without unlocking it between castings.
- When used in conjunction with lockpicking, it can be used to train Security skill by repeatedly locking and unlocking an object.
The following spells consist of a Lock effect:
|Fenrick's Doorjam||Spell||1||10||10||0||Touch||✓||fenrick's doorjam|
|= Available for purchase from a spell merchant.|
The following spell merchants are purveyors of one or more spells consisting of a Lock effect:
|Fevyn Ralen||House Telvanni||10||Vivec, Telvanni Canton Waistworks: Telvanni Mage||Fenrick's Door Jam|
|Medila Indaren||Mages Guild||10||Caldera: Mages Guild||Fenrick's Door Jam|
|Tinaso Alan||House Telvanni||10||Tel Mora: Tower Services||Fenrick's Door Jam|
The following items are enchanted with a Lock effect. They may include additional effects. See articles for details.
|Amulet of Locking||Amulet||5||5||0||Touch||amulet of locking|
|Fenrick's Doorjam Ring||Ring||10||10||0||Touch||ring of fenrick's doorjam|
|Scroll of Galmes' Seal||Scroll||20||80||1||Target||sc_galmesseal|