Located south of Riften, following the stairs leads up to the overlook and the word wall. There is usually a dragon perched on the wall. It is very common to fight a second dragon at this location, as they often spawn in this area.
Just past the archway of rubble is an ice magic trap. Remove the soul gem to disable it. Additionally, striking the gem with a launched arrow will knock it from the trap, also disabling it. If you do not have a bow, it is possible to go behind it to remove it.
- The name "Lost Tongue Overlook" may be a reference to the "lost" Dragon Language or the "lost" Falmer Language—this is supposition based on the passage written on the wall.
This section contains bugs related to Lost Tongue Overlook. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- The words on the Wall do not glow and cannot be learned when near them.
- The Dragon atop the Word Wall may "freeze" and become permanently inert, making any quest involving it impossible to complete without reloading old saves. Note: Using the Shout Fire Breath or other may initiate the battle with the dragon.
- It is sometimes possible to obtain two soul gems from the ice magic trap, if the 'take' button is spammed fast enough when taking the gem. This may be related to the glitch that causes the trap to still function even if the gem has been taken.
- Once the player tries to learn the word, it will state that it has been but it will not play the music and not appear in the shouts menu.
- After killing the Dragon, there will be a notification to talk to Esbern, when he actually has nothing to say.
- It is possible for the soul gem on the trap to be missing, rendering the trap unable to be disabled.
- Sometimes, the ice magic trap won't stop firing even after the gem is removed.
- Sometimes the soul gem won't be there at all, yet the trap will still fire with no way to disarm.
- After slaying the dragon, the soul might not get captured.
- After slaying the dragon and learning the shout location is not marked as cleared.