Louis Letrush is a character located within the Bee and Barb Inn in Riften. When you first meet him at the Inn he gives the player the quest Promises to Keep, in which the Dragonborn must steal Sibbi Black-Briar's horse, named Frost, and give it to him.
After the quest, depending on which paths were taken, Louis Letrush can be the trigger of some random encounters:
- Whether or not Maven was informed about Louis' plan, if the player delivered Frost to Louis Letrush the latter will be encountered along the road later on while being attacked by a thug. The thug will inform Letrush that 'Maven sends her regards' before killing him.
- In case Maven Black-Briar was informed about Louis Letrush's plans, the encounter with the hired thug attacking Louis Letrush still occurs. If the player kills the thug before Louis can die, he will attack the player while voicing his suspicions that the player must be the root of all his problems by having told Maven about his plan to steal Frost.
- In case the player double-crosses Louis Letrush in order to keep Frost, a thug will be sent by Letrush instead to take revenge on the player
Even if he's not dead, this should be the last time Louis Letrush can be found (See reported bugs for exception).
- Louis will vanish if the Dragonborn talks to him without accepting the quest, and proceed to talking with Sibbi Black-Briar about stealing Frost. The player can still complete the quest, although he will not be able to talk to Louis again till Frost is delivered to him.
- After completion of the quest Promises to Keep, Louis Letrush can sometimes be found duplicated near the Whiterun Stables and running about in the general area between Whiterun and Dustmans Cairn - amusingly, without his horse. Louis will duplicate numerous times as you continue to progress, sometimes being stuck in the ground. Although permanent, this bug has no known, negative effects except for it being highly annoying at times. This can be fixed on PC by clicking on Louis' clone and using the 'disable' command, using the console.
- During the post-completion encounter with Letrush the player will receive a bounty if they attack Letrush before the latter became hostile and attacked the player first.
- [PS3/Xbox Fix] After witnessing Louis' assassination by Maven Black Briar's mercenary, killing the duplicates might cause them not to reappear.
- Should the player happen to kill someone in his vicinity, he will attack on sight, everytime the Dragonborn is spotted. The same applies to duplicates as well.
- When trying to kill one or more of the Louis, they may get into a fight with the guards. Since they are unkillable, the battle may go on forever.
- The Louis Letrush clones may have a bugged face with constantly flashing eyebrows.
- In My Time of Need by siding with Kematu, it is possible that a Letrush clone present at the Whiterun stables will become hostile towards Saadia. This causes all NPC's in the area to attack this particular Letrush, including Saadia herself. Considering the clone cannot be killed, the quest will not be completed, as Saadia will continue to fight, sometimes drawing Kematu himself into the battle, and not continue on to the ambush. If the player attempts to complete the quest
- Another duplicate can be found wandering near Knifepoint Mine. Oddly, this duplicate cannot be killed, which if taken advantage of can be an infinite source of combat experience.
- Upon traveling to Whiterun via the Horse carriages, (the) Letrush(es) will become hostile and cannot be killed. Running to the Guards should attract his attention into an ending fight, giving the player the opportunity to escape.
- Upon entering Riften, Louis may randomly start attacking the player, making it impossible to start the quest.
- Sometimes Letrush will not get on Frost when it is delivered to him. Lethrush will spawn outside of Whiterun next to the player's horse and attempt to ride away on it. He can, however, be kicked off.
- Occasionally, Letrush may get "stuck" running on top of Frost, and he will start wildly spinning around the horse upon certain enemy encounters.
- During the Quest Battle for Whiterun, the player may hit a Louis Letrush clone in the melee, causing a bounty in The Rift, and the aggressivity of all clones. They seem to be killable.
- If Frost is attacked while the player is about to hop off the horse, he 'rubberbands' back and disappears. Saving before getting off the horse can be a good idea.