The Lute is an instrument used by bards, and can also be found in homes and inns. The lute as it appears in-game is a fretted, eight-string instrument. The pegs resemble those of many old instruments, including, but not limited to: lutes, cellos, and violins. A lute has a deep round back, in contrast to the similar named instrument found in Skyrim. The Skyrim instrument instead resembles the French lyre-guitar, possessing two horn-shaped struts that appear to be structural supports. These appear to be decorated to look like the head and neck of a dragon. The Dragonborn cannot use lutes, but the instruments can be put into their inventory.
- One in The Bannered Mare, second floor.
- One in Jorrvaskr Living Quarters.
- One in House of Clan Battle-Born, second floor.
- One in Dragonsreach Jarl's Quarters
- One in White River Watch, against cupboard
- One in Dainty Sload, second deck next to upturned table.
- The "lute" music in Skyrim is not recorded with a lute, but rather with a modern classical guitar.