Escape from Cidhna MineEdit
- Main article: No One Escapes Cidhna Mine
Before Madanach allows the Dragonborn to escape the mine with the rest of the Forsworn, he will require the disposal of Grisvar the Unlucky, as Grisvar has been in and out of Cidhna Mine, possibly leaking information, and thus is suspected of being a spy. With Grisvar dead, Madanach and his followers plan to escape through a tunnel they've been digging under Markarth, leading eventually to the city's surface. Upon reaching the surface, Madanach will give a speech to his followers, after which a battle will ensue between the city guards and his men.
Once the battle concludes, Madanach and his followers will retreat to the Druadach Redoubt.
If the Dragonborn decides to kill Madanach before escaping the mine, the remaining prisoners will become hostile. One can then use Madanach's Key to escape through the tunnel next to Madanach's quarters. Thonar will meet the Dragonborn at the entrance to the Markarth Ruins, will inform him/her that they have done a great service to the Silver-Blood family, and that they have been pardoned by the Jarl of Markarth.
The King in Rags proves to be a strong willed and shrewd character, totally dedicated to his cause. He is no stranger to murder, as long as he expells the Nords and regains the Reach for his fellow Forsworn. He has particular distaste for outsiders too, being hostile to the Dragonborn in their first meeting. Madanach shows absolute belief in his cause, he fully believes what he is doing is right and the Nords are evil, and that the Forsworn are the only legitimate rulers of the Reach.
Madanach shows talent for manipulation and cunning. In the shadows, he lures Thonar into a false sense of security before striking at him and Markarth, with the right agents in place. He forces the player to kill the loose end, Grisvar, who could be disloyal. Honeyed words and speeches are his specialities, as he attempts to convert the player and justify his cause. He empowers those who follow him, and seeks to win through slyness what brute force can't obtain. He fancies himself to be ruthless and cunning, although he reveals that all he really wants is the peace they had before Ulfric's attack.
If the player decides to attack and slay Madanach, they should take caution. If attacked in his cell, the player will have little equipment, the only available weapons, aside from magic, being a pickaxe or a shiv. This is the same for Madanach, and he has magic on his side as well. If confronted directly, he can invoke a Frost Cloak spell. He will also hurl Fireballs and Ice Spikes relentlessly if the player is within range. A sneak attack may be the best course. Magic users will have a much easier time with this battle, as they don't have to get close to the Frost Cloak. Shouts are also very useful, as a single Fire Breath shout with all three words of power may result in an instant kill.
Slaying Madanach after aiding him will make his followers hostile, too. At this stage, some may have been killed by the enemies in the ruins. One may or may not have recovered their equipment by then, so this may vary in difficulty. Avoid being surrounded, as some of the other prisoners have magic of their own. Madanach will also have improved and enchanted gear if the Dragonborn's equipment has been recovered.
Beast form or Vampire Lord Form may prove useful as it requires no equipment to use.
- If the Dragonborn kills Madanach, (by selecting revenge or simply attacking him), he or she will be pardoned upon escaping the prison.
- Accordingly, it is possible that Madanach may not survive the escape from the mine.
- Without help, the Forsworn may be too weak to battle the guards and be killed. Their bodies can be looted for a decent sum of gold.
- Even if Madanach dies while fighting the guards, all NPCs from Markarth will still act as if he is alive.
- While Madanach and his followers make their way to the Druadach Redoubt, it is possible, (due to pathing issues and ensuing guards), for Madanach to be found somewhere between Markarth and the Druadach Redoubt.
- temperament will become hostile, and vice-versa. If Madanach is selected using his reference ID and moved near a Forsworn while he is in Cidhna Mine, the Forsworn's
- If the Dragonborn is a Nord he will refer to the Nords as their kinsmen.
- Also, if the Dragonborn is a Nord and decides to kill Madanach by selecting Revenge option, he will say "Then come for me, Son of Skyrim. Come for me!" and attack.
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (First appearance)