Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Mammoths are massive elephantine creatures and one of the largest animals in Skyrim. Many mammoth skeletons dot Skyrim's landscape, demonstrating their great range of habitation. There are many giant camps across Skyrim populated by giants and mammoths. Dead mammoths can also often be found outside of Orc strongholds.
Biology and behaviorEdit
Mammoths are very large beasts, being several times the height of a man. They have shaggy coats of fur and four long, curved tusks. Mammoths are larger than their elephant cousins of southern Tamriel. They are generally found in small groups that are tended by giants. They live in the giants' camps and are, presumably, an important source of food, and can potentially offer other resources for them. Mammoths become aggressive towards characters and the Dragonborn if either happen to get too close to them or attack their giant herders.
- When a mammoth is attacked in a camp, their herding giant will become hostile and defend the mammoth(s).
- They are deadly to low-level players when close, as they can deal great amounts of damage with one hit.
- They have a large amount of health, as well as a 33% resistance to frost damage.
- Likely because of their size, mammoths are immune to paralysis and cannot be frozen solid with Ice Form.
- Even with all three words of the Unrelenting Force shout, you can only stagger a mammoth. It is impossible to make a mammoth ragdoll, an effect the shout will have on other creatures.
- Mammoths can charge at unaware players.
- Mammoths will not enter water or cross a stream in pursuit of an enemy. To take advantage of this, lure a mammoth away from the herd with either archery or ranged magic, then run into a nearby lake or river. The mammoth will look on from the shore, allowing it to be attacked without retaliation. Giants also avoid water, offering the mammoth no protection. The water must be a certain depth or they will cross it.
- Mammoths cannot climb well, possibly due to their large size. Climbing on a rock where they cannot follow allows the use of ranged attacks with impunity.
- Mammoths are not the fastest creatures, so ranged attacks will work when the mammoth is trying to catch up to attack the Dragonborn.
- Mammoth souls are one of the best sources of grand souls in Skyrim. Most grand souls can only be obtained by killing the toughest boss-level monsters, such as a Dragon Priest, Draugr Death Overlord, or a Draugr Deathlord archer.
- Ysolda in Whiterun asks for a mammoth tusk for a reward of one Speech skill increase.
- Madesi in Riften asks for a mammoth tusk in order to create a piece of jewelry.
- Quintus Navale in Windhelm asks for assistance in repairing the White Phial, which includes finding mammoth tusk powder.
- During "Kyne's Sacred Trials," the Dragonborn will have to hunt a Mammoth Guardian Spirit.
- Mammoths can be used to attack enemies by using the Animal Allegiance shout.
- Mammoths are based off of the extinct real-world mammoth, which died out thousands of years ago. Unlike real mammoths, however, the mammoths in Skyrim have four tusks.
- During the quest "Repairing the Phial," the Dragonborn will have to obtain mammoth tusk powder located at Stonehill Bluff. This quest item should not to be confused with powdered mammoth tusk.
- A dead mammoth can be found lying in one of the springs in the tundra. A giant can be found standing nearby, who is passive to the Dragonborn unless attacked.
- A mammoth can be found west of Saarthal, frozen in the ice. Spears and Dwarven arrows are lodged in the ice around it.
- The "loot" versions of mammoth snouts and tusks are much smaller than the snout and tusks on the mammoth itself.
- Mammoths owned by giants have markings on their tusks. Free mammoths, however, do not.
- There is a location called Mammoth Graveyard outside of Whiterun, resembling the legendary "Elephant's Graveyard."
This section contains bugs related to Mammoth (Skyrim). Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
|Click to see the list of bugs encountered|
|Creatures and Enemies (The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim)|
|Animals||Ants • Bear • Cave Bear • Chicken • Cow • Deer • Dog • Elk • Fox • Goat • Hawk • Horker • Horse|
Ice Wolf • Mammoth • Mudcrab • Rabbit • Sabre Cat • Salmon • Skeever • Slaughterfish • Snow Bear • Snow Fox • Wolf
|Creatures||Chaurus • Frostbite Spider • Frost Troll • Giant • Hagraven • Ice Wraith • Spriggan • Troll|
|Daedra||Dremora • Flame Atronach • Frost Atronach • Storm Atronach|
|Undead||Corrupted Shade • Dragon Priest • Draugr • Ghost • Magic Anomaly • Skeleton|
Subjugated Ghost • Wisp • Wispmother • Vampire
|Animunculi||Dwarven Centurion • Dwarven Sphere • Dwarven Spider|
|Dragons||Dragon • Blood Dragon • Frost Dragon • Elder Dragon • Ancient Dragon • Skeletal Dragon|