Mara, a goddess of the Nine Divines, is considered the mother-goddess and goddess of love. Some consider her as a universal goddess. Her origins started in mythic times as a fertility goddess. In Skyrim, Mara is a handmaiden of Kyne. In the Empire, she is Mother-Goddess. She is sometimes associated with Nir of the "Anuad," the female principle of the cosmos that gave birth to creation. Depending on the religion, she is either married to Akatosh, or Lorkhan, or the concubine of both. She appears in nearly every culture's pantheon in Tamriel. In Morrowind, Mara appears in the form of Ama Nin.[source?]
- Mara's main Chapel is located in Bravil.
- In Skyrim, Mara has a temple dedicated to her in Riften. Marriages are carried out in her name at this temple.
- The Amulet of Mara increases the Restoration aptitude for the wearer. It is also used as a symbol that the wearer is looking for a spouse.
Since Mara may have been the wife of Akatosh, it is believed she may also be Arkay's mother. However, it is unclear whether Mara was, in fact, the wife of Akatosh, the wife of Lorkhan, or a concubine of both.
"Come to me, Mara, for without you, I might forget the ways of our fathers, and preening by the light of latest fashion, my words might tremble like the thin reeds of novelty in the tempest of enthusiasms."
- The Elder Scrolls: Arena (Mentioned only)
- The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall (Mentioned only)
- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Mentioned only)
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Mentioned only)