Due to her dour disposition, other may randomly attack her on sight and act negatively toward her. Because of this, if an object is dropped between Mjoll the Lioness or Brand-Shei and Marise, Marise will initiate combat.
Engaging her in conversation will lead to her explaining how she uses Ice Wraith Teeth to keep her meat cold. This has allowed her to keep the meat cold longer without it spoiling. She says that she is down to her last Ice Wraith tooth. Once she has been brought the Ice Wraith teeth and becomes a friend, the Dragonborn receives 100 , minus the Jarl's tax, in inheritance if she dies. Also, if the Dragonborn drops a valuable item (such as a Flawless Emerald) in front of her, she may fight Brand-Shei to the death for it if he hasn't been arrested.confirmation needed Another side-effect of winning her friendship is that she becomes a potential target in the vampire quest, "Deceiving the Herd". Conversely, she hires Hired Thug's to assault the Dragonborn if she is stolen from.
- Marise is primarily a food merchant, but will still offer some other miscellaneous items. With the addition of Hearthfire, she stocks jugs of milk.
- Her gold reserve is very low, about 64 . Her gold reserve will not increase with the Master Trader perk.
- "My food is the best in all of Skyrim, always as fresh as the day it was collected."
- "Some fresh meat to fill your belly, perhaps?"
- "Only way to find fresher meat is to hunt it yourself!"
- "Vegetables as crisp as a winter's morning!"
- "All meats guaranteed clean and free of Rockjoint!"
Marise "Dinya? I was reading that missive you gave me and I was wondering something about marriage."
Dinya "Feel free to ask me anything you like."
Marise "There's someone I like very much in Riften. I think I'd like to marry him someday, but... well, he's not of my kind. Would Mara be angry?"
Dinya "No, no... not at all. Mara believes that the spark of a union comes from inside us, not from our appearance. Tell you what... if you still feel unsure, come by the temple sometime and we'll talk about it."
Drifa "Thanks for that bushel of apples, Marise. They're wonderful. How did you keep them so fresh?"
Marise "Can't tell you. It's a bit of a trade secret I picked up when I was living in High Rock."
Drifa "Well, whatever you're doing, keep doing it and you'll have me as a customer for life."
Tythis "Marise, I've come to warn you that the Thieves Guild has been harassing shopkeepers again."
Marise "I've heard. Bolli and Keerava were speaking of it just a little while ago."
Tythis "I hope that doesn't mean things are going to get worse around here."
Bolli "I have two more bushels for you, Marise. That should keep you well-stocked."
Marise "Sounds good. May I owe you for them?"
Bolli "Of course. Say, how are you going to sell all those fish before they spoil?"
Marise "You know I can't tell you that. As soon as I do, and you have a few meads in you, everyone will know."
Nivenor "Hey. What's the matter with you? You have no right to spread rumors around town about me."
Marise "What rumors?"
Nivenor "You know very well what I'm talking about. You're saying that I only married Bolli for his gold and that I don't really love him."
Marise "Well, if the shoe fits..."
Marise "Oh! Miss Maven. What can I do for you?"
Maven "Relax, Marise... I have no quarrel with you. I just wish to speak a moment."
Maven "You watch the market, you hear the rumors around Riften. What have you heard about these dragons?"
Marise "I heard a traveler say that Helgen was destroyed by one of those creatures. Didn't leave a soul alive they said."
Maven "Interesting. Keep your ears open for me and tell me if you hear anything more. I'll make it worth your while."
Shadr "Hi, Marise. How are you today?"
Marise "I'm well. How are things over at the stables? Old Hofgrir giving you a hard time?"
Shadr "Naw... he's fine. Look, I wanted to ask if you'll... um, if you'd like to... well, like to have a drink with me at the Bee and Barb sometime?"
Marise "Shadr, that's so sweet... I'd love to."
This section contains bugs related to Marise Aravel. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Ice Wraith Teeth, then selling/using one, will cause the quest to still say to return to Marise instead of reverting to the 4/5 Ice Wraith Teeth mark. Collecting 5
Sometimes, after completing the quest, the quest log will still say to return to Marise or it will say to collect 5 Ice Wraith Teeth in the miscellaneous quests.
- This can be solved by loading a previous save and, before turning in the quest, dropping all of the Ice Wraith Teeth and picking them back up.
If the Dragonborn has more than 5 Ice Wraith Teeth, after bringing the Ice Wraith Teeth to Marise, the quest will remain, asking that more Ice Wraith Teeth be collected.
- Solution: After dropping or using all Ice Wraith Teeth except for the five needed, talking to Marise will allow the quest to complete. Then the teeth can just be picked back up.