- Main article: Dragon Shouts
Marked for Death is a dragon shout in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
This shout causes the target to receive an armor penalty every second, and lose health points every second for 60 seconds, as follows (NOTE: the armor loss is permanent without use of the console to correct; hitting your allies will make them notably less resilient to physical damage for the rest of the game):
- 1 word: -25 armor/s (-1500 total after 60s) and -1hp/s for 60s
- 2 words: -50 armor/s (-3000 total after 60s) and -2hp/s for 60s
- 3 words: -75 armor/s (-4500 total after 60s) and -3hp/s for 60s
- This shout is useful with all weapons and in many situations (particularly against difficult dragon species).
- By repeatedly stacking on any one opponent, this allows them to be killed with as little as a single punch (this includes all dragon types). This is because armor values can go negative, and negative armor increases damage taken. Can be verified with use of the console.
|Marked for Death|
Locations: Autumnwatch Tower, Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary, and Forsaken Cave
|NONVUL BRON DahMaaN DaaR ROT DO|
FIN FODiiZ BORMah Vah KRii KO
MOROKei KeIN LOS Wah ZIN GeINMaaR Wah DIR
KO MOROKei KeIN LOS Wah ZIN Pah DO KeiZaaL
|Noble Nords remember these words of|
the hoar father: To kill in
glorious war is to honor oneself, to die
in glorious war is to honor all of Skyrim.
|HET Mah TahRODiiS TAFiiR|
SKORJI LUN-SINAK WEN KLOV
GOVey NaaL RINIK HahKUN ROK
TOGaaT WaH GahROT
|Here fell (the) treacherous thief|
Skorji Leech-Fingers, whose head
(was) removed by (the) very axe he
tried to steal.
|THORINGAR WahLaaN QETHSEGOL|
MONii VahRUKT NooMI WEN
DEZ LOS Wah AUS NIN DO
POGaaN OGiiM RONaaZ
|Thoringar raised (this) stone|
for his daughter’s memory, Noomi, whose
fate (it) was to suffer (the) sting of
many Orc arrows.
This section contains bugs related to Marked for Death. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Use of this shout on a companion will permanently lower their armor rating.
- Use of this shout on respawning enemies may reduce their armor rating even after they respawn. Meaning the player will eventually be able to kill a giant with a single physical punch after using marked for death countless times.
- Both of the above effects are a result of the Recover flag not being checked in the game files. (Verified via inspecting both effects in the PC version Creation Kit. PC version owners can fix this themselves.)
- Though very effective against dragons, using it against them can cause them not to release their souls and burn up when they die.
- Upon returning to Autumnwatch Tower it is possible for an additional word of the shout to be learned. This means one of the other walls is not required to learn the full shout.
- When used against Dragon Priests, they won't attack and will stop moving.
- Dawnguard, if the player has at least one word of both the Drain Vitality and Marked for Death shouts known, a second version of the Drain Vitality shout using the same words as Marked for Death will appear in the shout menu and will be usable, with all the words having a cooldown of 12. Its description will say "Drains 1 points of Health per second for 20 seconds. Drains 1 points of Magicka per second for 20 seconds. Drains 1 points of Stamina per second for 20 seconds." Spending a soul on Marked For Death also counts as using it on said copy, since they use the same words, and each time the player learns a new word for Marked for Death they learn it for this alternate version as well. This version might also have been a single shout that ended up being split into the Marked for Death and Drain Vitality.
- The reason this happens is that all the NPC versions that are used were set with the Words used for Marked for Death rather than the stock "Dragon Fire" Words. (Verified via the Creation Kit.)
- The only known way to fix this is to start a new game without Dawnguard installed and wait until you have all 3 words of Marked for Death before installing it. (Audio bug is confirmed for PC.)
- When using all three words of this shout, the Dragonborn will shout "LUN LUN AUS" instead of "KRII LUN AUS." Also, if two words of the shout are used, the shout is "LUN LUN" instead of "KRII LUN," as it should be.
| Animal Allegiance • Aura Whisper • Become Ethereal • Call Dragon • Call of Valor • Clear Skies • Disarm • Dismay |
Dragonrend • Elemental Fury • Fire Breath • Frost Breath • Ice Form • Kyne's Peace • Marked for Death • Slow Time
Storm Call • Throw Voice • Unrelenting Force • Whirlwind Sprint
|Drain Vitality • Soul Tear • Summon Durnehviir|
|Battle Fury • Bend Will • Cyclone • Dragon Aspect|
|Amulet of Talos • Dragon Alphabet • Dragon Language • Shrine of Talos • Tongues • Word Wall|