- Main article: Dragon Shouts
Marked for Death is a dragon shout in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
This shout causes the target to receive an armor penalty every second, and lose health points every second for 60 seconds, as follows (NOTE: the armor loss is permanent without use of the console to correct; hitting your allies will make them notably less resilient to physical damage for the rest of the game):
- 1 word: -25 armor/s (-1500 total after 60s) and -1hp/s for 60s
- 2 words: -50 armor/s (-3000 total after 60s) and -2hp/s for 60s
- 3 words: -75 armor/s (-4500 total after 60s) and -3hp/s for 60s
- This shout is useful with all weapons and in many situations (particularly against difficult dragon species).
- By repeatedly stacking on any one opponent, this allows them to be killed with as little as a single punch (this includes all dragon types). This is because armor values can go negative, and negative armor increases damage taken. Can be verified with use of the console.
|Marked for Death|
Locations: Autumnwatch Tower, Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary, and Forsaken Cave
|NONVUL BRON DahMaaN DaaR ROT DO|
FIN FODiiZ BORMah Vah KRii KO
MOROKei KeIN LOS Wah ZIN GeINMaaR Wah DIR
KO MOROKei KeIN LOS Wah ZIN Pah DO KeiZaaL
|Noble Nords remember these words of|
the hoar father: To kill in
glorious war is to honor oneself, to die
in glorious war is to honor all of Skyrim.
|HET Mah TahRODiiS TAFiiR|
SKORJI LUN-SINAK WEN KLOV
GOVey NaaL RINIK HahKUN ROK
TOGaaT WaH GahROT
|Here fell (the) treacherous thief|
Skorji Leech-Fingers, whose head
(was) removed by (the) very axe he
tried to steal.
|THORINGAR WahLaaN QETHSEGOL|
MONii VahRUKT NooMI WEN
DEZ LOS Wah AUS NIN DO
POGaaN OGiiM RONaaZ
|Thoringar raised (this) stone|
for his daughter’s memory, Noomi, whose
fate (it) was to suffer (the) sting of
many Orc arrows.
This section contains bugs related to Marked for Death. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Use of this shout on a companion will permanently lower their armor rating.
- To reset it, use the console command getav damageresist and restoreactorvalue damageresist (number) to move it back to a non-broken value.
- Use of this shout on respawning enemies may reduce their armor rating even after they respawn, meaning the Dragonborn will eventually be able to kill a giant with a single physical punch after using marked for death countless times.
- Both of the above effects are a result of the recover flag not being checked in the game files. (Verified via inspecting both effects in the PC version Creation Kit. PC version owners can fix this themselves.)
- Although very effective against dragons, using it against them can cause them not to release their souls and burn up upon death.
- Upon returning to Autumnwatch Tower, it is possible for an additional word of the shout to be learned. This means one of the other walls is not required to learn the full shout.
- When used against Dragon Priests, they will not attack and will stop moving.
- Drain Vitality and Marked for Death shouts, a second version (or several more) of them, that use the same words, will appear in the shout menu and will be usable, with all the words having a cooldown of 12. Its description will say "Drains 1 points of Health per second for 20 seconds. Drains 1 point of Magicka per second for 20 seconds. Drains 1 points of Stamina per second for 20 seconds." Spending a soul on Marked for Death also counts as using it on said copy. Each time a new word is learned for Marked for Death, it is learned for this alternate version as well.
If the Dragonborn has acquired at least 1 word of both the
- Fix: Start a new game without Dawnguard installed, after acquiring all 3 words of Marked for Death, it is now possible to install Dawnguard, then acquire Drain Vitality, without the glitched duplicate shout.
- Fix: Un-installing Dawnguard (which will remove all of Dawnguard's content and quest progression), then completing the Marked for Death shout. And, finally, re-installing Dawnguard.
- When using all three words of this shout, the Dragonborn may shout "LUN LUN AUS" instead of "KRII LUN AUS." Also, if two words of the shout are used, the shout is "LUN LUN" instead of "KRII LUN," as it should be.
| Animal Allegiance • Aura Whisper • Become Ethereal • Call Dragon • Call of Valor • Clear Skies • Disarm • Dismay |
Dragonrend • Elemental Fury • Fire Breath • Frost Breath • Ice Form • Kyne's Peace • Marked for Death • Slow Time
Storm Call • Throw Voice • Unrelenting Force • Whirlwind Sprint
|Drain Vitality • Soul Tear • Summon Durnehviir|
|Battle Fury • Bend Will • Cyclone • Dragon Aspect|
|Amulet of Talos • Dragon Alphabet • Dragon Language • Shrine of Talos • Tongues • Word Wall|