Marriage is a gameplay element in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. After obtaining the Amulet of Mara, the Dragonborn has the option to engage in either a heterosexual or homosexual marriage with an eligible NPC. Although there is no discrimination based on race, there are currently no eligible Khajiit or Bosmer. Those that can be married generally require that a specific task be completed beforehand. Whether the partner is a merchant or not, they are able to purchase and sell general goods, also allowing the Dragonborn to collect a daily portion of his/her profits from their "work". Every 24 hours, the player can ask their Spouse how their business is faring to receive a share of 100 gold. If the share is not collected, the gold accumulates.
Obtaining the Amulet of Mara
- The Amulet of Mara can be bought from a priest named Maramal for 200 . He can be found at either the Bee and Barb or the Temple of Mara in Riften.
- Can be found as random loot.
- Can be found in a tent on a beach North of Dawnstar directly behind the Dawnstar Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary.
- Can be looted from Kematu in Swindler's Den
- Received for completing The Book of Love questline.
- May be found on a guard in Whiterun.
Marriage must still be discussed with Maramal before proposing, if the amulet is obtained without talking to him first.
Maramal must be spoken to about marriage in Skyrim before any dialog related to the Amulet of Mara shows up. The new dialogue is unlocked with certain NPCs if the player is both wearing the amulet and has met the requirement relating to them, usually a quest. The Dragonborn can then express their wish to marry the person. Once that is done, they can speak to Maramal at the Temple of Mara about arranging the wedding.
The time to start a ceremony takes approximately 24 hours. Maramal alludes to the ceremony time being constrained between dawn and dusk, however the ceremony can happen at any given hour of the day. During the ceremony the player has one last chance to affirm the marriage before the ceremony proceeds.
NPCs for whom the player has previously completed quests may appear at the wedding ceremony as guests. If the player already owns any houses, then the corresponding housecarl(s) will also be present.
If the player misses his Wedding Ceremony, they can approach the intended partner and ask for another chance. Maramal will then agree to host another ceremony, the next day.
The behavior of the spouse changes from the single character once married. Tone of voice and behavior changes, they often refer to the player as "love" or "dear" from that point on. However, if the Dragonborn marries one of his housecarls, they will sometimes refer to him as their Thane using subordinate dialogue.
If the player's spouse relocates to a different city from where they originated, to live in one of the player's houses, they may indicate that they wish to become a shop owner to keep occupied while the player is adventuring.
If the player wishes to relocate the spouse to a different home, (either another one of the player's houses or the spouse's own original home), this can be done so at any time via a dialogue option.
If the player sleeps in the house with their spouse, they receive a temporary bonus called Lover's Comfort that boosts the rate of skill-learning by 15% for 8 hours. However, this bonus cannot be obtained if Lover Stone is activated, or if the Blood Ritual has been taken to become a Werewolf.
If the player has downloaded Hearthfire, is married and adopts a child then your spouse will automatically adopt them as well and instantly move in to the house where your new son or daughter is living, this adds another dialogue option with your spouse where your can ask how the children are, it also adds generic dialogue to the child where they mention an activity they did together. However this will prevent your spouse from moving to another house.
Note: Because partners act as vendors, the player can buy and sell items from them. However, if they are asked to follow the player, they will only sell him items from their inventory until they part ways. Spouses only act as merchants in the marital home, meaning items cannot be sold to them in a dungeon, to reduce the carry weight, for instance.
|Aela the Huntress||Nord||Companion||Jorrvaskr, Whiterun.||Completion of The Companion's story arc with Glory of the Dead.|
|Aeri||Nord||Lumberjack||Anga's Mill, The Pale.||Chopping firewood for her.|
|Anwen||Redguard||Priestess||Temple of Dibella, Markarth.||Completion of the Temple Quest: The Heart of Dibella.|
|Avrusa Sarethi||Dark Elf||Farmer||Sarethi Farm, The Rift.||Collect 20 Jazbay Grapes for her.|
|Borghak the Steel Heart||Orc||Warrior||Mor Khazgur, The Reach.||Paying her dowry or convincing her to leave her home.|
|Brelyna Maryon||Dark Elf||Student||College of Winterhold, Winterhold.||Completion of Brelyna's Practice.|
|Camilla Valerius||Imperial||Merchant||Riverwood Trader, Riverwood.||Completion of The Golden Claw.|
|Dravynea the Stoneweaver||Dark Elf||Mage||Kynesgrove, Eastmarch.||Providing her with one Frost Salt.|
|Ghorza gra Bagol||Orc||Blacksmith||Blacksmith Shed, Markarth.||Providing her with The Last Scabbard of Akrash.|
|Gilfre||Imperial||Miller||Mixwater Mill, Eastmarch.||Working for her by chopping firewood.|
|Grelka||Nord||Merchant||Open market, Riften||Can be married only through console command.|
|Iona||Nord||Housecarl||Honeyside, Riften.||Becoming Thane of The Rift.|
|Jenassa||Dark Elf||Hireling||Drunken Huntsman, Whiterun.||Hiring her.|
|Jordis the Sword-Maiden||Nord||Housecarl||Proudspire Manor, Solitude.||Becoming Thane of Solitude.|
|Lydia||Nord||Housecarl||Whiterun||Become Thane in Whiterun after killing first Dragon. Requires Breezehome for marriage option. (Marryable after 1.5 update).|
|Mjoll the Lioness||Nord||Adventurer||Riften.||Retrieving her sword Grimsever from the Dwemer ruins of Mzinchaleft.|
|Muiri||Breton||Alchemist||The Hag’s Cure, Markarth.||Completion of Mourning Never Comes. NOTE: Both targets must be killed to gain Muiri's affection.|
|Njada Stone Arm||Nord||Companion||Jorrvaskr, Whiterun.||Completion of The Companion's story arc with Glory of the Dead.|
|Orla||Nord||Priestess||Temple of Dibella, Markarth.||Completion of the Temple Quest: The Heart of Dibella.|
|Ria||Imperial||Companion||Jorrvaskr, Whiterun.||Completion of The Companion's story arc with Glory of the Dead.|
|Senna||Breton||Priestess||Temple of Dibella, Markarth.||Completion of The Heart of Dibella.|
|Shahvee||Argonian||Dockworker||Argonian Assemblage, Windhelm.||Married by recovering the Amulet of Zenithar and returning it to her. She may be killed in the quest Blood on the Ice, so it is suggested that she is married before starting this quest.|
|Sylgja||Nord||Miner||Shor's Stone, The Rift.||Her satchel must be delivered to her father in Darkwater Crossing, then returned to her.|
|Taarie||High Elf||Merchant||Solitude||Elisif the Fair must be visited while wearing the outfit she provides, before returning to her to tell her what happened, and you must invest in her store.|
|Temba Wide-Arm||Nord||Miller||Ivarstead, The Rift.||10 bear pelts must be given to her.|
|Uthgerd the Unbroken||Nord||Hireling||Found Bannered Mare in Whiterun.||She must be bested in a brawl battle.|
|Viola Giordano||Imperial||Busybody||Candlehearth Hall, Windhelm.||Revyn Sadri's favor must be started, but he must be ratted out to Viola.|
|Ysolda||Nord||Citizen||Open market, Whiterun.||A Mammoth Tusk must be given to her.|
|Ainethach||Breton||Mine Owner||Karthwasten, The Reach.||Convince Silver-Blood Thugs to leave his mine.|
|Angrenor Once-Honored||Nord||Beggar||Candelhearth Hall, Windhelm.||He must be given a gold piece.|
|Argis the Bulwark||Nord||Housecarl||Vlindrel Hall, Markarth.||Becoming Thane of Markarth.|
|Athis||Dark Elf||Companion||Jorrvaskr Living Quarters, Whiterun.||Completion of The Companion's story arc with Glory of the Dead.|
|Balimund||Nord||Blacksmith||The Scorched Hammer, Riften.||Must be given 10 Fire Salts.|
|Belrand||Nord||Hireling||The Winking Skeever, Solitude.||Must be hired.|
|Benor||Nord||Warrior||Morthal.||Winning a brawl against him.|
|Calder||Nord||Housecarl||Hjerim, Windhelm.||Becoming Thane of Eastmarch.|
|Cosnach||Breton||Drunk/Porter||Silver-Blood Inn, Markarth.||Must be challenged to a brawl and bested.|
|Derkeethus||Argonian||Fisherman||Darkwater Crossing, Eastmarch.||Must be rescued.|
|Farkas||Nord||Companion||Jorrvaskr, Whiterun. (Vilkas' Twin)||Completion of The Companion's story arc with Glory of the Dead.|
|Filnjar||Nord||Blacksmith||Shor's Stone, The Rift.||Completion of the Quest Mine or Yours.|
|Gat gro-Shargakh||Orc||Miner||Left Hand Mine / Kolskeggr Mine, The Reach.||Completion of the favor to Pavo Attius to liberate Kolskeggr Mine.|
|Ghorbash the Iron Hand||Orc||Warrior||Burguk's Longhouse, Dushnikh Yal, The Reach.|
|Marcurio||Imperial||Hireling||Bee and Barb, Riften.||Hiring him.|
|Moth gro-Bagol||Orc||Blacksmith||Understone Keep, Markarth.|
|Octieve San||Breton||Citizen||Solitude. Frequently found in and around the Winking Skeever.||Convincing the gamblers to let him off his debts.|
|Omluag||Breton||Miner||Markarth Smelter, Markarth.||Talked to Mulush in Markarth about the smelter workers.|
|Onmund||Nord||Student||The Hall of Attainment, College of Winterhold.||Recover his Amulet from Enthir|
|Pavo Attius||Imperial||Miner||Left Hand Mine / Kolskeggr Mine, The Reach.||Completion of his favor to liberate Kolskeggre Mine.|
|Perth||Breton||Miner||Soljund's Sinkhole, The Reach.||Clearing Soljund's Sinkhole of Draugr.|
|Quintus Navale||Imperial||Alchemist||The White Phial, Windhelm.||Completion of the Quest Repairing the Phial.|
|Revyn Sadri||Dark Elf||Merchant||Sadri's Used Wares, Windhelm.||Bringing back stolen ring to Viola Giordano|
|Roggi Knot-Beard||Nord||Miner||Steamscorch Mine, Kynesgrove Eastmarch.||Recover his Family Shield|
|Romlyn Dreth||Dark Elf||Meadery Worker||Black,Briar Meadery, Riften.||Deliver Black-Briar Keg to Wilhelm in Ivarstead.|
|Scouts-Many-Marshes||Argonian||Dockworker||Argonian Assemblage in Windhelm.||Talking to Torbjorn Shatter-Shield about the Argonian dock workers.|
|Sondas Drenim||Dark Elf||Miner||Goldenrock Mine, Darkwater Crossing, Eastmarch.|
|Sorex Vinius||Imperial||Assistant Innkeeper||Winking Skeever, Solitude.||Delivering kegs of rum to Falk Firebeard at the Blue Palace.|
|Stenvar||Nord||Hireling||Candlehearth Hall, Windhelm.||Hiring him.|
|Torvar||Nord||Companion||Jorrvaskr, Whiterun.||Completion of The Companion's story arc with Glory of the Dead.|
|Vilkas||Nord||Companion||Jorrvaskr, Whiterun. (Farkas' Twin)||Completion of The Companion's story arc with Glory of the Dead.|
|Vorstag||Nord||Hireling||Silver,Blood Inn, Markarth.||Hiring him.|
|Wilhelm||Nord||Innkeeper||Vilemyr Inn, Ivarstead, The Rift.||Completion of the Investigate Shroud Hearth Barrow.|
Forcing NPC Marriage
Players can force the marriage dialog option to appear on NPCs by opening the console, targeting the desired NPC, and typing the command "addfac 19809 1". This could possibly cause issues with NPCs who were not originally intended to have this option.
A friendship must have been started with the NPC in the form of a quest, as their disposition (which is a hidden stat) needs to be of a certain level in order for them to recognize the Amulet of Mara. Alternately the command "setrelationshiprank player 4" can be used after adding the person to the marriage faction. It is not possible to marry some persons, such as Ulfric Stormcloak.
Trying to breakup with partners is, for some reason, impossible without the console. Searching for help "breakup" 4 will bring up dialogue and quests that show reference to what must have been the original intention of breaking up with a spouse.
The relationshipbreakup quest can be used.Use the console to enter these commands:
- completequest 0007431B
- resetquest 0007431B
- resetquest 00021382
(This is just formality to reset the "marriage" quest.)
The above will prevent the player from having to kill his spouse, although they will comment on how much even the thought of him makes their blood boil. Untested, but possibly setrelationshiprank player 4 can fix this
- The spouse must be killed
- The console command Setstage RelationshipMarriage 10 must then be used
- The console commands resurrect should next be used on the ex-spouse (and eventually the command setrelationshiprank player 4 on him/her to keep the relationship status obtained with the NPC related quests)
- The old Amulet of Mara doesn't need to be dropped or sold.
- The Amulet of Mara necklace must be retained, or another one must be found.
- Any wanted items should be taken from the current spouse before starting this process.
- The following commands must be used, after targeting the spouse:
- removefac 51596
- player.removefac C6472
- resetquest 74793
- resetquest 21382
- setstage 74793 10
- The old spouse will immediately exit the house and return to their regular location.
- 24 hours must be waited.
- Sometimes, Maramal will not show up at the temple until he is talked to at the Bee and Barb.
- A bug can occur in which a scripted NPC interrupts the wedding if the player chooses to wait overnight in the Temple of Mara. For example: the priestess of Azura might make the Dragonborn miss his wedding if he recently completed the Azura's Star quest.
- Some users playing as a male character may experience Vilkas chasing after them in Jorrvaskr trying to marry them, with his weapon drawn, and no actual action done by the player.
- Some people that can be married, (such as Aela the Huntress), have no voice acting recorded for when they are asked to browse their merchandise. The subtitle will appear on screen and their lips still move but nothing will be heard.
- When married to Camilla Valerius, Sven will still ask you to break up the relationship between Camilla and Feandal (The Love Triangle quest). You can still complete the quest even though you are married to her.
- If Aela the Huntress is taken out to get married while on the quest to recover the Hircine totem, she will continue to follow the player but if he fast travels anywhere she will disappear and that quest will not be able to be completed since the totem must be found with her.
- If a random companion quest is accepted and the quest requires killing a monster that has invaded a home, that home may be the player's. Upon entering the home no one will be there but the monster and the spouse will temporarily disappear from the game.
- Sleeping in the same house with the partner may not result in the "Lover's Comfort" sleeping buff, only the standard "Well Rested" bonus.
- It is not possible to marry a Khajiit or a Wood Elf of either gender legitimately, as there seems to be no possible characters to marry.
- (e.g. equipitem 000d191f 1 for the Tavern Clothes). The console command removeitem <base_id> 1 can be used to remove items like a Pickaxe (000E3C16), or clothes specifically. Be mindful that every NPC (including followers) come with a set of standard clothing that are tagged as their 'outfit'. Even when removing these clothes through the console, the NPC will try to put on the standard outfit when not following the player, which can result in them being randomly nude while not following the player (e.g: waiting at their house, walking in the city). To change the clothes of the partner, the console command equipitem can be used on him </span>
- You can kill your spouse when sacrificing to Boethiah during the quest Boethiah's Calling.
- If you kill your spouse you cannot marry again without the use of console commands