Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Maul is a Nord and an associate of the Thieves Guild living in Riften. He is the righthand man of Maven Black-Briar, the leader of the Black-Briars. He is also the brother of Thieves Guild member Dirge. Once the player first enters Riften, Maul will warn the Dragonborn not to cause trouble. If Maven becomes Jarl of Riften, Maul will become her housecarl.
Maul is a former member of the Thieves Guild, having left the organization after it began to decline. He was offered a job working for Maven Black-Briar, accepted, and never went back.
After speaking with him inside Riften, he will exit the town and can be found loitering around the docks. If one wants to bring an Unusual Gem to him before they have joined the Thieves Guild, he will insist that the Dragonborn join the Guild before he looks at it. At this point, the quest will expand, telling the player to join the Guild.
Jarl of RiftenEdit
Maul: "Your mother seems to have taken to her seat quite well."
Hemming: "Yes, she's been grooming herself for this for quite a long time."
Maul: "It's surprising the Council is allowing a Nord rule Riften under the Imperial flag. That can't be their first choice."
- Maul's default Steel Armor is randomized, and will have pauldrons at times and none at others.
- On occasion, he will help the Dragonborn with guards. It seems to happen more often or not when a murder is being committed and only one guard spots the deed. If accidentally hit during any fight, he says, "I'm on your side!"
This section contains bugs related to Maul. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- If the Dragonborn has already joined the Thieves Guild before speaking to Maul, he might still assign the quest "Talk to Brynjolf about joining the Thieves Guild," which cannot be completed. The console command for completing this miscellaneous quest is
setstage TG00MaulHandler 200.
- A bug may exist as to his addition to the quest if the Thieves Guild quest line is already finished except for the city influence quests. It may be possible to become the Thieves Guild Master and still have the sub-quest "Become a full member of the Thieves Guild" of "No Stone Unturned" remain unfulfilled. Note: This does not affect the player's ability to complete "No Stone Unturned".
- The dialogue to have Maul appraise a Stone may not show up, leaving the player having to find a different appraiser.
- After the "welcoming" dialogue from Maul as you enter Riften for the first time, he might ask you to follow him. However, he only walks to the docks and stops next to some boxes, and if you either walk up to him or try to talk to him he will just tell you to "stay out of trouble".