He approaches the Dragonborn after overhearing the conversation with Priestess Danica Pure-Spring about going to the Eldergleam Sanctuary. He asks to go along, but it is optional as to whether or not to allow it. He has no armor or weapons, can't be told to "wait" before a fight, and can be killed. However, if taken along, he has a possible impact on the outcome of the quest. Upon witnessing the player's "violence" against the Eldergleam Tree's roots with Nettlebane, he offers a second option. Rather than take the sap from the tree forcefully, he prays to it and is given an Eldergleam Sapling. This avoids having to fight the spriggans.
See the main article Multiple Followers.
Maurice is one of the quest characters that can be exploited to follow the Dragonborn throughout Skyrim along with another follower. It should however be noted that while he will indeed follow and aid in fights, he cannot be commanded or equipped. He fights barehanded or with weapons he finds, (he likes great swords), and can die in battle. This can be avoided by 'reverse pickpocketing' him and placing armor and weapons in his inventory.( Note: This can only be done before he engages conversation with the Dragonborn, otherwise he is unable to be pickpocketed). He will equip his weapon as soon as he finishes his dialogue, but he will only equip his armor after exiting Temple of Kynareth. His health does not regenerate but he can be healed with Healing Hands, Heal Other or Grand Healing. This makes him one of the worst followers, more so than Fjotra, who cannot die due to being a child. A more tedious alternative would be to equip him with a weapon that has a high Absorb Health enchantment.
- Maurice has a tendency to run off and attack any creature or enemy along the way to the Eldergleam Sanctuary and can easily be killed which will remove his "non-violent" option from the quest.
- If the Dragonborn is not near Maurice when given the quest by Danica Pure-Spring he may not approach at all. This is easily solved by approaching him to trigger the conversation.
- This can prove useful, however, because then one has the option of leaving and discovering the Eldergleam Sanctuary without Maurice following then returning to the Temple of Kynareth and approaching him to initiate the conversation. After getting him to follow, the player may then fast travel to the Eldergleam Sanctuary and enter safely.
- Maurice can die during the Battle for Whiterun quest in the Civil War questline.
- If one steals from one of the pilgrims in the Eldergleam sanctuary he will state, "It's amazing what a woman/man will do for a little coin." He doesn't turn the Dragonborn in nor are there negative repercussions.
- He may attack the Dragonborn on the Blessing of Nature quest if the dialogue box is not shown and the player proceeds to take the trees sapling.
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (First appearance)