Maven Black-Briar is the matron of the Black-Briars in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. According to Mjoll the Lioness, Maven has strong ties with the Thalmor, the Dark Brotherhood, and the Thieves Guild, making her the most influential person in Riften. Rumors say Maven has the Jarl Laila Law-Giver in her pocket, as well as the Riften Guard. She is able to influence any situation with septims or the fear that her allies will retaliate.
- See also: Black-Briars
She is the mother of Hemming, Ingun, and Sibbi. Maul is her right hand man and enforces her will in the city. He tells the Dragonborn not to stir up trouble with the Black-Briars. He is extremely subservient to Maven and will do whatever she asks of him without question.
There is some conflicting info on her relationship with the rest of her family. Mjoll refers to Hemming, Ingun, and Sibbi as Maven's children. Maven even has a conversation with Ingun where they refer to each other as mother and daughter. But, Hemming says that Ingun and Sibbi are his children.
In the Skyrim files, Maven's relationship with Ingun and Sibbi is listed as Grandparent/Grandchild, and Hemming's relationship with Ingun and Sibbi is listed as Parent/Child, whereas Ingun and Sibbi are listed as Siblings to each other. Maven may be the mother of Ingun and Sibbi and their grandmother.
|Spoiler warning: Plot or ending details follow.|
Imprisoning her son
In Anuriel's chambers, a note from Maven reveals that she had her son imprisoned for unknown reasons, writing that it is in his best interest to be kept under lock and key. The Dragonborn discovers that he was arrested for "airing out his family's dirty laundry." Specifically, he killed his ex-fiancee's brother after he confronted Sibbi about his affairs with other women.
|Spoilers end here|
- "I presume you're bothering me for a good reason."
- "What in the name of Oblivion do you want?"
- "Out of my way!"
- "I don't have time for idle chit-chat. What is it?"
- "I believe we're done."
- "Good, more kindling for my hearth."
- Maven wrote several notes that can be found scattered throughout Riften. These are the Notice of Cost Increase, Sibbi Black-Briar (Book), To The Brotherhood, and Note from Maven, showing the various connections and power she has in Riften.
- Maven is marked as "essential" and thus cannot be killed. If attacked, she may attack with Sparks, indicating she is capable of casting spells.
- Maven can be found mingling with the crowd in the party during Diplomatic Immunity. If you have talked to her previously and then speak with her during the party, she will comment about how you should stop talking to her unless you want her to blow your cover. Continuing to speak with her, however, will not cause any ill effects or alert the guards in any manner.
- The word "maven" means expert or connoisseur; this may be a joke, as Maven runs the Black-Briar Meadery (it could be said "She is a connoisseur of mead").
- After becoming Jarl, looking through the end table near her bed in Mistveil Keep reveals an Amulet of Mara, indicating she may be looking for a husband.
- Repeatedly attacking her can trigger the Thieves Guild mission Reparations.
- In the Black-Briar Manor when you walk downstairs, there will be a locked door which is marked 'Master,' then after you lockpick the door (or use Maven's Personal Key, pickpocketed from her) it will open, and there will be a skeleton, Human Heart, Human Flesh, and the note To The Brotherhood, indicating she has performed the Black Sacrament.
- Jarl because the Dragonborn gave Riften to the Imperial Legion during the negotiation, but then Riften is taken back by siding with the Stormcloaks, she will no longer be Jarl, but her name will still show as 'Jarl Maven Black-Briar'. If she becomes
- In some circumstances, Maven will attack guards and get into endless confrontations, as she cannot die if attacked.
Behind the scenes
- Unless otherwise stated, the information above was obtained from in-game play or from The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Creation Kit. 
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (First appearance)