He is a blunt, outspoken man, with a great respect for Sybille Stentor's magical prowess. He mentions that smart men stay away from Sybille.
Should Sybille die, Melaran takes her place as court wizard for Jarl Elisif. He will make a comment on this when asked, and if told he is suited for a position in the court, he will comment on the Dragonborn's involvement in Stentor's demise.
If Melaran is killed, Irnskar Ironhand will send the Dragonborn a letter thanking the Dragonborn for killing him.
Erikur: "Melaran, you lazy milk-drinker, have you finished studying the imports from Black Marsh?"
Melaran: "Indeed I have, sir. Elven weapons for their armies, sir. Elven material, but poor workmanship, like most of what we get from them."
Erikur: "Scary, thinking of those boots with an army of Elven weapons at their command. Let's be thankful they're half a world away, eh?"
Melaran: "Even a fine weapon is only as good as its wielder, sir. But they should fetch a high price from the Imperial army."
Erikur: "Right you are, elf! Or even from the rebels, if they've got enough money to make a competitive offer."
Melaran: "As always, lord, your loyalty is a shining example to us all."
- "No doubt most folk in Skyrim consider the dragons terrifying. I find them... wondrous."
- "Speak if you must, but mind your tongue. I do not suffer fools gladly."
- "Sybille Stentor has a grasp on magical theory that I would never have expected from a human. Even a Breton."
- "Working with Erikur may be below my stature, but the compensation is...acceptable."
- "You are excused."
- "You are free to leave."
- "I am done with you. You may go."
- "I make sure Erikur keeps breathing." - When asked about what he does in Blue Palace
- If the subtitles are turned on, the conversation between Melaran and Erikur will show "Elven weapons" and "Elven material," but Melaran actually says "Daedric weapons" and "Daedric material." This is likely a mistake on part of the voice actor.
- Although Melaran takes over as Court Wizard if Sybille dies, he does not act as a Spell Tomes merchant, like she does. Thus, killing Sybille removes a merchant from the game.
- Melaran is one of the few Altmer men in the game that has facial hair.