Merchant Chests are items in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
Merchant chests can be used to access items from a merchants inventory including gold and other assorted items. These chests contain everything from gold to enchanted maces to soul gems (empty and full) and even children’s clothing and utensils. The loot is leveled, meaning that it varies depending on level, and resets approximately every two in-game days, so long as you’re not in the area. The Dragonborn can take as much as he/she desires, and none of it counts as stealing. It can be tricky to pinpoint each location the first time around, so you may want to try sneaking.
- Under the Skyforge in Whiterun
- There are four chests in Whiterun altogether
- Six chests are under The Ragged Flagon
- One is outside of Solitude. If the Khajiit Caravans are present, crouching and looking at the floor near the left corner of the main tent should cause a search option to appear. This chest belongs to the Khajiit Caravans however items taken from it, even while the Khajjit can see you, will not count as stolen.
- Three chests can be found in Windhelm
- A follower is required to reach the chest.
- One in Dawnstar next to Iron Breaker Mine. Sneaking and looking down while hugging the wall to the left of the mine should result in a search option to appear. This chest belongs to the Khajiit Caravans.
- One outside of Markarth. Travel east from the city’s gate, passing the stables, a farm and the Left Hand Mine, all the way down to a bridge. There’s a path to the left and a Markarth guard patrols this area. (This chest is easier to spot when the Khajiit caravan sets up here.) There’s a stone wall and a Juniper bush to the right of the wall, and the bridge to the right of that. Go on the other side of the wall and move up against the center of the wall. Look down.