|Message to Whiterun|
|Quest Giver||General Tullius or Jarl Ulfric Stormcloak|
|Prerequisite||The Jagged Crown|
|Next Quest||Battle for Whiterun (Stormcloaks)|
|Faction||Imperial Legion or Stormcloaks|
"I am to deliver a message to the Jarl of Whiterun. It is time for him to pick a side in the war."
If you decide to side with the Stormcloak Rebellion, speak with Jarl Ulfric Stormcloak at the Palace of the Kings in Windhelm after delivering to him the Jagged Crown. He will tell you that it is time to deliver a message to the Imperialists of Whiterun and give you Ulfric's War Axe to deliver to Jarl Balgruuf the Greater in Dragonsreach. Travel to Whiterun and speak with Jarl Balgruuf the Greater. Upon completion of the conversation he will hand you back the axe, signifying that there will be a war. Travel back to the Palace of the Kings and speak with Jarl Ulfric Stormcloak once again. Upon completion of this conversation you may have to wait or exit the palace and then return. Upon your reentry Ulfric Stormcloak will initiate a scripted event during which he will request you report to Galmar Stone-Fist . Speaking to Stormcloak this second time will finish "Message To Whiterun" and start "The Battle For Whiterun."
If you decide to side with the Imperial forces, speak with General Tullius in Solitude after delivering him the Jagged Crown. He will tell you to deliver a message to Jarl Balgruuf the Greater in Dragonsreach. Travel to Whiterun, and speak to Jarl Balgruuf the Greater (be aware that you must have completed Dragon Rising before continuing the quest) and deliver the message. Upon delivering, he will converse with Irileth and Proventus Avenicci, and he decides to side with the Imperials. He will give you Balgruuf's War Axe, and ask you to deliver it to Ulfric Stormcloak in the Palace of the Kings, signifying that there will be a war. Ulfric will tell you to go back to Dragonsreach and give Jarl Balgruuf his axe back, and that he is disappointed that you did not side with the Stormcloak rebellion. Upon return, Balgruuf will not be surprised that Ulfric returned the axe, and he already requested that Tullius sends Legionaires to fight for Whiterun. Legate Quentin Cipius will be in Dragonsreach, and you will need to report to him, which ends "Message to Whiterun," and begins "Battle for Whiterun."
- After Ulfric gives you back the axe you can train your sneak by backstabbing everyone in the room over and over. If you drain all of their health in one hit they will not react to your attacks. Do not try this on Ulfric or the guards. Works best in the map room with Galmar and Yrsarlad. Save often as sometimes the guards can spot you.
- If you have not completed Bleak Falls Barrow you will have to complete that before he makes his decision, because he will say that you need to help him with the dragons first.
- The Jarl will sometimes disappear for no reason, the quest will point somewhere around Battle-Born Farm.
- If you have started the companion questline, there is a chance the Jarl will disappear for the duration of the companion quests.
- If you have already captured Odahviing in Dragonsreach, you won't have the option to give him the message. Finishing the game and returning to talk to him sometimes fixes this.
- Season Unending then there is no option for talking with the Jarl. There are only the dialog options for setting up the trap to capture Odahviing. There is currently no known fix other than to complete the game and return afterwards. If you have started the quest
- Jarl Balgruuf the Greater, if you talk to Jarl Ulfric Stormcloak, he can ask you to deliver Ulfric's War Axe to Jarl Balgruuf the Greater again. After giving the axe to
- Sometimes when you try to finish the quest by talking to Legate Quentin Cipius he will not chat with you and instead say random lines about the war, making it impossible to carry on the quest (leaving the area and/or waiting seems to fix this). Sometimes there is no fix and the quest is permanently stuck.
- Sometimes when talking to Legate Quentin Cipius, he will already be in a dialogue with an Imperial Soldier. Upon opening dialogue with the Legate, the imperial soldier will disappear. This, while funny, causes no known negative effects with the game.
- If Legate Quenting Cipius is found sleeping upstairs above the Jarl's throne, sometimes he will not get up when speaking to you, nor will his mouth move.
- If you join the Stormcloaks and deliver the Jagged Crown to Ulfric and HAVE NOT finished "Before the Storm," Jarl Balgruuf will not speak to you until you finish Dragon's Rising, and you cannot deliver the Axe from Ulfric. Also, Irileth and the Whiterun soldiers will disappear, leaving you to kill the Dragon on your own in Dragon's rising. The guards will appear shortly after you kill the dragon. Go through the dialogue with Balgruuf about being a dragonborn, then he will be able to receive the axe.
- Sometimes if you start the quest before finishing Dragon's Rising you cannot finish the quest after finishing Dragon's Rising.
- Theres a high possibility that Ulfric will issue you the "Message to Whiterun" quest before completing "The Jagged Crown", this can seem as if you can not complete either questline, simply visit Galmar, he will give you new orders to speak to Ulfric, completing "The Jagged Crown" and then go through the dialogue again for the "Message to Whiterun" questline, and it will resolve itself.
- Sometimes the Jarl can talk to Proventus Avenicci and ask "Proventus, What do you make of all this?" and then not say anything else, reloading a previous save will fix this.
- It is possible that Ulfric will NOT offer the next quest dialogue. There are no known fixes for this. If this happens on your xbox, you will have to side with the Imperials.
- Sometimes when you go to Castle Dour to receive the message from Tullius after completing the Jagged Crown quest, the dialog option to start the quest won't appear. The cause of this is unknown and there is no known solution