|Missing in Action|
|Quest Giver||Fralia Gray-Mane|
|Reward||Random enchanted weapon|
Fralia Gray-Mane in Whiterun is convinced that her missing son, Thorald, is still alive and being held captive. She asked me to visit her home to speak privately about the matter.
- Meet Fralia in her home
- Find evidence of Thorald's fate
- Deliver proof to Avulstein
- One of two options:
- Rescue Thorald from Northwatch Keep
- Lead Thorald to safety
- Speak to Thorald
- Return to Fralia Gray-Mane
- Start the quest by speaking to Fralia Grey-Mane, in Whiterun. She will tell the Dragonborn that her son is alive, regardless of what anybody says, and that she would like to discuss it in private, at her home.
- Once there, the Dragonborn will be approached by Avulstein, who will explain how his brother, Thorald, is still alive, and that they want him found, and they would like any proof to help the case. Alternatively, the quest can be started by just speaking to Avulstein, who will talk about his brother as soon as spoken to.
- Follow the marker to the Battle-Born house and go in the back door (the front is locked), and pick up the book marked "Imperial Missive" on the desk. It will state that Thorald has been taken prisoner and relocated to Northwatch Keep by the Thalmor.
- Instead of sneaking and taking the evidence inside the Battle-Born house, the Dragonborn can also try confronting Jon Battle-Born with knowledge of his tryst with Olfina. To do so, first pickpocket Letter from Olfina from Jon. After a few dialogue options, the star-crossed warrior will agree to bring the missive to the Dragonborn at the Statue of Talos. It is also possible to persuade Idolaf Battle-Born into giving the information, but it requires a relatively high Speech level (need exact number). [Confirmed Speech skill 90 without perks or fortifying equipment (PS3 31.10.2012)][confirmed speech skill of 75 or above, PC 23/12/2012]
- After choosing whether to go alone, or with Avulstein's group, head to Northwatch Keep, where the assault upon the Northwatch Guards to gain access to the inner area will begin.
- There is an option to find a diplomatic solution to release Thorald. A unique quest option, Find a Way to Release Tharold From Custody will appear in the journal, but no quest markers aside from that at Northwatch Keep will appear on the map. After the Dragonborn speaks to the front guard of Northwatch Keep and tells him that "you're here for Thorald," he will refuse to confirm whether they hold a prisoner of that name, and then proclaim that a prisoner can only be freed by order of the Imperial Legion. Instead, General Tullius in Solitude can be asked to release Thorald, but will only do so if the Dragonborn has an enhanced relationship with Tullius (usually accomplished by joining the legion or giving any result besides favoring the Stormcloaks in Season Unending). He will give them the 'Message from General Tullius', which will open up a new dialogue option with the Northwatch Keep guard. The guard will lead the Dragonborn through the prison to the cell, whereupon Thorald can be released and escorted out of the prison. The Thalmor may have their own conditions for allowing the Dragonborn through (e.g. faction standing and quests taken in favor of the Empire rather than Stormcloaks/bandits/forsworn).
- If choosing the path of violence, the Dragonborn must fight through waves of the guards, while navigating through the corridors and rooms. The guards use shock spells, leveled weapons and armor.
- While the quest marker leads toward an entrance behind the main entrance of the Keep, it is possible to enter through a side entrance. There is usually a single guard right in front of the entrance. The Dragonborn can also walk over the ruined ramparts to the back area.
- There will be a wooden door with a master level lock. This will make the trek through the Keep much easier, requiring only a fight through a single room with a few enemies.
- An alternative approach involves going around the back to a snow drift near the water. Snipe as many as possible to reduce their numbers without alerting the rest. If alerted, duck behind the drift to avoid archers and kill them one-by-one as they come over the top.
- Proceed through to the prison area. Thorald Grey-Mane is chained to the wall in the back of the room. There will be a room with an interrogator in it, who will attack as soon as he notices the Dragonborn. Kill the interrogator and Thorald will now be able to be freed. He will grab a nearby weapon to help protect himself before proceeding with Dragonborn out of the dungeon.
- After exiting, Thorald will thank the Dragonborn for saving him. He will then explain that it is not safe for him to return to Whiterun, for the Thalmor will be after him now. He states that he will join the ranks of the Stormcloaks to blend in, and gives the Dragonborn a message to pass on to Thorald's mother. He then parts ways.
- Once the Dragonborn approaches Fralia with the news of her son's survival, she will ask for proof. Give her the message that Thorald stated, "Suffer the winter's cold wind, for it bears aloft next summer's seed". She will give thanks for bringing her the peace of knowing that her son is alive and safe, and not locked up in a prison cell. She then gives out a reward (a Skyforged weapon of choice or an enchanted steel weapon, which was intended for Thorald), and the quest is complete. If Eorlund, Fralia's husband, has died anytime before the conclusion of this quest, Fralia will say that she doesn't have much to offer due to the passing of Eorlund and will be able to give 200 instead of the weapon.
Once the quest is finished, the hold guards will say "Wonder what it's like for those Thalmor, now that they've been taken down a notch" or "From what I hear, you're the one who gave those Thalmor a black eye. You sure know how to pick your enemies."
|Click to see the list of bugs encountered|
- After completion of this quest, guards will comment "I heard you're the one who gave the Thalmor a black eye. You know how to pick your enemies."
- Guards will also comment "I wonder what it's like for those Thalmor, now that they've been taken down a notch..."
- Vidrald and Geirlund may be found in the courtyard of Northwatch Keep after the quest is completed.
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (First appearance)]