Morthal, said to be named after the great Nord hero Morihaus, lies deep in the marsh, a foreboding area of Hjaalmarch which is isolated from other villages and shrouded by a constant and ominous fog. Morthal's small population and relatively remote location have kept it distant from most major conflicts in recent years. The citizens of Morthal appear reclusive and cautious of outsiders. They are quite vocal about removing the town's more recent settler, a wizard, for fear that he might upset the balance of their quiet and peaceful existence. Due to their distrust of magic the Jarl does not have an acting court wizard. She remains neutral on having a wizard present in her town and allows him to practice magic and sell his supplies in the privacy of his own home.
Due to its isolation and lagging economy Morthal remains of little strategic importance in the war. The city's lumber mill appears to be its only source of trade, a point which the citizens show concern for. To the east of Morthal lies Stonehills, which supports Rockwallow Mine, but this mine is owned by a Nord official in Solitude and the ore is used to support the Imperial war effort.
There are few points of interest, nothing in the way of a market, no general goods stores; armorers; stables; farms; and shrines are also notably absent from the capital city of a hold. However, there is an inn where travelers passing through can look for work, rest and hear the latest rumors. The citizens will often speak of seeing strange sounds, lights, and shadows in the shrouded fog of the marshes at night. The city also contains an alchemy shop, and visitors may purchase spell tomes and enchanting supplies out of the home of a wizard recently making his home in Morthal. The town also houses a guardhouse for an Imperial Legate stationed within making the hold and its capital under Imperial control.
There's not much to do in Morthal, but herbalists and alchemists will find a bounty of deathbell, swamp fungal pod and giant lichen in the vast expanses of swamp and marsh immediately surrounding Morthal. First time visitors to the town may notice an untended burned-down house on one edge of the town collecting fresh snowfall. Many of Morthal's residents can be overheard gossiping about the wife and child burned alive in their home, and suspect foul play after noting the husband immediately moved in with another woman the following night. This mystery can be Laid to Rest as part of a quest. Behind the burned down house there exists a small cemetary.
- Agni, a foster daughter of Falion.
- Alva, a suspicious woman who is seen only during the night.
- Aslfur, Steward of Hjaalmarch.
- Benor, a follower who can be hired once the Dragonborn bests him in a brawl. Benor can be married.
- Falion, a mage.
- Gorm, Jarl's Housecarl.
- Hroggar, a man who lost his wife and daughter in a fire.
- Jarl Idgrod Ravencrone, Jarl of Morthal and Hjaalmarch.
- Idgrod the Younger, the Jarl's daughter, and her younger brother, Joric.
- Jonna, the landlady of Moorside Inn.
- Jorgen, a man who is working at the mill.
- Joric, the Jarl's son.
- Lami, the proprietress of Thaumaturgist's Hut.
- Legate Taurinus Duilis, Commander of Imperial Legion Forces in Hjaalmarch.
- Lurbuk gro-Dushnikh, a bard.
- Thonnir, a worker of the mill.
- Virkmund, a son of Thonnir.
- Helgi (Spoiler), Hroggar's dead daughter.
- Laelette (Spoiler) Thonnir's wife who disappeared.
- Pactur (Can become Steward)
- Sorli the Builder (Can become Jarl depending on Civil War Quest Options)
- Teeba-Ei (Possible Housecarl, depending on Civil War questline options)
Points of interest
- The Seal of Morthal bears strong resemblance to the Triskele design commonly found in Celtic artwork. This ties into the fact that many other aspects of Skyrim also have a strong Celtic resemblance.
- Outside in the marsh, there is a summoning circle which is used to cure Vampirism.
- Chaurus and Frostbite Spiders may spawn near Morthal.
- Land to build Windstad Manor may be purchased here from the steward if Hearthfire is installed. It'll be northeast of Morthal, east of Solitude and immediately north of Ustengrav in the northern part of Hjaalmarch Hold.
- The mill's waterwheel appears to be working despite going against the current.
|Cities||Dawnstar • Falkreath • Markarth • Morthal • Riften • Solitude • Whiterun • Windhelm • Winterhold|
|Holds||Eastmarch • Falkreath Hold • Haafingar • Hjaalmarch • The Pale |
The Reach • The Rift • Winterhold Hold • Whiterun Hold