About five blue butterflies and a number of monarch butterflies can be found close to the entrance. The main cavern is a large, lush area with an opening to the sky which allows ample light to illuminate the cave. A stream enters the cave high on one wall, creating a waterfall that feeds into a pool surrounded by trees and grass.
When the Dragonborn arrives, there will be an injured man, Valdr, outside the cave. He is affected by Spriggan poison. He can be healed by giving him a potion, or using a spell like Healing Hands. After healing him, he will ask the Dragonborn to clear out the cave of Spriggans so he can get to the bodies of his fallen friends. Upon completion of this task, the Dragonborn will be rewarded with Valdr's Lucky Dagger, and invited to his home in Falkreath.
Runil asks to find his journal, which may be here as a possible location for Runil's Journal.
- Lesser soul gem and an adept chest with gold and a steel mace - just before Ari's corpse, on a ledge to the right.
- Chest with some gold, a levelled necklace and dagger - up the path beyond the pond, on the right.
- One gold ore vein – on a bank above the pond.
- One iron ore vein – where the Dragonborn encounters the first spriggan on the ledge.
- Valdr's Lucky Dagger – Given by Valdr as a reward for clearing the cave.
- Possible location of Meridia's Beacon
- When the Dragonborn gives Valdr, the hunter in front of the cavern, a healing potion, the hunter can then be killed and the potion recovered. However, the Dragonborn then cannot receive Valdr's Lucky Dagger.
This section contains bugs related to Moss Mother Cavern. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- There might be no quest marker for the quest.
- A solution is to enter the cave normally and not take anything from the hollow tree trunk.
- Upon receiving the dagger, the quest may not be completed. Instead, Valdr holds his normal interactions.