|Moss Mother Cavern|
|Location||West of Whiterun|
|Quests||Hunter and Hunted|
About five Blue Butterflies can be found close to the entrance. Entering the cavern via a short tunnel brings the Dragonborn to a surprising sight. The main cavern is a large, lush area with an opening to the sky which allows ample light to illuminate the cave. A stream enters the cave high on one wall, creating a waterfall that feeds into a pool surrounded by trees and grass.
When the Dragonborn arrives, there will be an injured man, Valdr, outside the cave. He is affected by Spriggan poison. He can be healed by giving him a Potion, or using a spell like Healing Hands. After healing him, he will ask the Dragonborn to clear out the cave of Spriggans so he can get to the bodies of his fallen friends. Upon completion of this task, the Dragonborn will be rewarded with Valdr's Lucky Dagger, and invited to his home in Falkreath.
Note: if the cave is entered before healing Valdr, and cleared out of enemies inside, he will be dead upon returning from the cave. The side quest will still be available, but will not be possible to complete.
Note: Instead of the "Hunter and Hunted" quest, there may instead be a series of miscellaneous quests, including one to "Clear out Moss Mother Cavern."
- Miscellaneous loot in a hollow tree trunk on the left wall shortly after entering the main cavern
- There is an adept locked chest, possibly with a Soul Gem lying on the ground next to it. It can be found by walking from the entrance to a pile of rocks, turning south, and jumping up on the ledge. The chest is behind a tree trunk.
- In the water, to the east southeast of the waterfall, there is a half-buried skeleton with a random weapon and a shield.
- 1 large chest on a ledge on the opposite side of the pond from the waterfall (to the south) (Possible location of Meridia's Beacon)
- Valdr's Lucky Dagger, given by Valdr as a reward for clearing the cave
- Various Alchemy ingredients (mostly mushrooms and lots of Hanging Moss)
- On a bank above the pond, there is a Gold Ore vein.
- After the Dragonborn encounters the first Spriggan on the ledge, there is an Iron Ore vein.
- When the Dragonborn gives Valdr, the hunter in front of the cavern, a healing potion, the hunter can then be killed and the potion recovered. However, the Dragonborn then cannot receive the Valdr's Lucky Dagger.
This section contains bugs related to Moss Mother Cavern. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- A fugitive might come by after talking to Valdr, and he will attack, rendering this quest unfinishable.
- This can be resolved by using a Calm spell.
- There might be no quest marker for the quest. This may be related to a different miscellaneous quest being given.
- A solution is to enter the cave normally, and not take anything from the hollow tree trunk
- Upon receiving the dagger, the quest may not be completed. Instead, he holds his normal interactions.