Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Muffle is an Apprentice-level Illusion spell and also one of the Enchanting Effects in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. With a base casting cost of 144 Magicka, casting the spell renders the caster's footsteps completely silent. The spell lasts for 180 seconds (396 seconds when dual-cast).
Because the Dragonborn's footfall can be heard by enemies while invisible, Muffle is useful when combined with it. Using both spells while sneaking makes the Dragonborn almost impossible to detect by others, unless the Dragonborn bumps into them or performs an action. The Dragonborn may also be detected when entering a scripted scenario like meeting with a courier or any other character that engages in dialogue with the Dragonborn.
- Weight: 1
- Value: 88
- See Spell Tome for a complete table of spell tomes, their descriptions, and their values.
- Farengar Secret-Fire sells this spell at Dragonsreach in Whiterun.
- Drevis Neloren, of the College of Winterhold sells this spell when the Dragonborn reaches level 25 Illusion.
- Calcelmo sells this spell at Understone Keep in Markarth.
- Wylandriah sells this spell at the Mistveil Keep in Riften.
This effect also appears as an enchant capable of being obtained by disenchanting apparel with the effect. This effect is only available with randomly generated vendor items and found items and does not include unique items such as Ebony Mail or Nightingale Boots. It appears that passive enchant bears half the effectiveness of the spell version — 25% versus 50%, presumably corresponding to the 50% figure that is reduced by the Sneak perk, Muffled Movement.
To obtain boots with Muffle enchantment other than buying them from merchants is to find them inside The Ragged Flagon. Keep in mind that all city influence quests need to be completed for them to appear. Save the game outside the door after entering via The Ratway. The rightmost shop (managed by Vanryth Gatharian) has a counter with two randomly generated enchanted equipment: a piece of armor (with stolen tag) and a pair of boots. Reload the game and re-enter to generate other enchantments if needed.
- This magic spell seems to increase the Illusion skill abnormally fast, which is indispensably useful for power-leveling. In addition, it also has the odd tendency to not consume the amount of magic listed. Around 20% will show consumed then immediately snap back to being 100% full. This spell can be cast non-stop by using the Mystic Tuning Gloves.
- This spell is far more effective than the higher level spell Invisibility when attempting to elude the Falmer. Sound is far more likely to tip off the Falmer than sight, due to the fact that Falmer are blind.
This section contains bugs related to Muffle. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Trying to cast Muffle in both hands (not dual-casting) at the same time with not enough Magicka to cast both spells will waste all of the caster's Magicka and only perform the spell in one hand.
- When held in the right hand with any one handed weapon equipped on the left, the weapon may attack instantly.
|Call to Arms • Calm • Clairvoyance • Courage • Fear • Frenzy • Fury • Harmony • Hysteria • Invisibility |
Mayhem • Muffle • Pacify • Rally • Rout • Vampire's Seduction • Vision of the Tenth Eye
|Schools of Magic|
|Alteration • Conjuration • Destruction • Illusion • Restoration|
|Illusion Ritual Spell • Magicka • Perks • Magic • College of Winterhold • Illusion trainers|