Conjuration is a skill in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and is one of the six skills that fall under the Path of Sorcery or the Mage constellation of skills. The conjuration skill is raised by casting Conjuration spells while enemies have detected the caster. The summoning aspects of Conjuration raises the skill by the amount of time/damage output used in combat; these spells identify themselves as Conjuration spells and generally focus on summoning creatures from the plains of Oblivion or creating ethereal weapons from soul energy. Since Mysticism was removed, Soul Trap is now a Conjuration spell.
After the Dragonborn reaches around level 30 in Conjuration, guards may say:
"Hail summoner, conjure me up a warm bed, would you?"
Governing Guardian Stone: The Mage.
Books and questsEdit
The following books provide a permanent skill up to Conjuration. Exact locations of each book are found on their individual pages.
- 2920, Hearth Fire (v9)
- 2920, Frostfall (v10)
- Liminal Bridges
- The Doors of Oblivion
- The Warrior's Charge
Oghma Infinium also can increase the Conjuration skill - reading the "Path of Magic" increases Conjuration by five, as well as all other spell-oriented skills.
The following Quests increase the Conjuration skill:
- Find Pantea's Flute for Pantea Ateia in the Bards College in Solitude. This quest also increases Alteration, Enchanting, Destruction, Restoration, and Illusion.
The following is a complete list of Conjuration spells:
|Rank||Spell Name||Description||Magicka Base Cost|
(Skill level 0)
|Bound Dagger DB||Creates a magic dagger for 120 seconds. Sheathe it to dispel.||32|
|Bound Sword||Creates a magic sword for 120 seconds. Sheathe it to dispel.||93|
|Conjure Familiar||Summons a Familiar for 60 seconds wherever the caster is pointing.||107|
|Raise Zombie||Reanimate a weak dead body to fight for the player for 60 seconds.||103|
|Summon Unbound Dremora||Summons an unbound Dremora.||100|
(Skill level 25)
|Bound Battleaxe||Creates a magic battle axe for 120 seconds. Sheathe it to dispel.||169|
|Conjure Boneman DG||Summons a Boneman archer for 60 seconds wherever the caster is pointing.||129|
|Conjure Flame Atronach||Summons a Flame Atronach for 60 seconds wherever the caster is pointing.||150|
|Flaming Familiar||Summons a Flaming Familiar which will charge into battle and explode.||57|
|Reanimate Corpse||Reanimate a more powerful dead body to fight for the player for 60 seconds.||144|
|Soul Trap||If a target dies within 60 seconds, fills a soul gem.||107|
|Spectral Arrow*||Fires a Spectral Arrow at the target doing 30 points of damage and staggering the target.||50|
|Summon Arniel's Shade||Summons the Shade of Arniel Gane for 60 seconds wherever the caster is pointing.||0|
|Summon Arvak DG||Summons the horse Arvak wherever the caster is pointing.||136|
(Skill level 50)
|Banish Daedra||Weaker summoned daedra are sent back to Oblivion.||196|
|Bound Bow||Creates a magic bow for 120 seconds. Sheathe it to dispel.||207|
|Conjure Ash Spawn DB||Summons an Ash Spawn for 60 seconds wherever the caster is pointing:.||186|
|Conjure Frost Atronach||Summons a Frost Atronach for 60 seconds wherever the caster is pointing.||215|
|Conjure Mistman DG||Summons a Mistman from the Soul Cairn for 60 seconds wherever the caster is pointing.||193|
|Conjure Seeker DB||Summons a Seeker for 60 seconds wherever the caster is pointing.||157|
|Revenant||Reanimate a powerful dead body to fight for the player for 60 seconds.||183|
(Skill level 75)
|Conjure Ash Guardian DB||Creates an Ash Guardian that guards that location until destroyed. Consumes a heart stone from your inventory, without which it will be hostile.||207|
|Command Daedra||Powerful summoned and raised creatures are put under the player's control.||243|
|Conjure Dremora Lord||Summons a Dremora Lord for 60 seconds.||358|
|Conjure Wrathman DG||Summons a Wrathman from the Soul Cairn for 60 seconds wherever the caster is pointing.||301|
|Conjure Storm Atronach||Summons a Storm Atronach for 60 seconds wherever the caster is pointing.||322|
|Dread Zombie||Reanimate a very powerful dead body to fight for the player for 60 seconds.||302|
|Expel Daedra||Powerful summoned daedra creatures are sent back to Oblivion.||215|
(Skill level 100)
|Dead Thrall||Reanimate a dead body permanently to fight for the player.||1000|
|Flame Thrall||Summons a Flame Atronach permanently.||900|
|Frost Thrall||Summons a Frost Atronach permanently.||1100|
|Storm Thrall||Summons a Storm Atronach permanently.||1200|
* Spectral Arrow is only available in the testing hall for PC or by converting a save from PC into a Xbox or PS3 save and is not included in the actual game.
Master spells can't be purchased initially. To unlock Master Conjuration spells, the Conjuration Ritual Spell quest must be completed upon reaching level 90 Conjuration.
The following are Conjuration spells that the character can start with if the correct race is selected:
- Conjure Familiar spell is unlocked for Bretons at the start of the game.
These perks become available to select as the skill is leveled up:
|Novice Conjuration||None||Cast Novice level Conjuration spells for half magicka|
|Conjuration Dual Casting||Conjuration 20, Novice Conjuration||Dual casting a Conjuration spell overcharges the effects into a longer lasting version|
|Mystic Binding||Conjuration 20, Novice Conjuration||Bound weapons do more damage|
|Apprentice Conjuration||Conjuration 25, Novice Conjuration||Cast Apprentice level Conjuration spells for half magicka|
|Summoner (2)||Conjuration 30/70, Novice Conjuration||Can summon Atronachs, raise undead or Dremora lords twice as far away (three times as far for second rank at Conjuration 70)|
|Soul Stealer||Conjuration 30, Mystic Binding||Bound weapons cast Soul Trap on targets|
|Necromancy||Conjuration 40, Novice Conjuration||Greater duration for reanimated undead|
|Atromancy||Conjuration 40, Summoner||Double duration for conjured Atronachs and Dremora Lords|
|Oblivion Binding||Conjuration 50, Soul Stealer||Bound weapons will banish summoned creatures and turn raised ones|
|Adept Conjuration||Conjuration 50, Apprentice Conjuration||Cast Adept level Conjuration spells for half magicka|
|Dark Souls||Conjuration 70, Necromancy||Reanimated undead have 100 points more health|
|Expert Conjuration||Conjuration 75, Adept Conjuration||Cast Expert level Conjuration spells for half magicka|
|Elemental Potency||Conjuration 80, Atromancy||Conjured Atronachs are 50% more powerful|
|Twin Souls||Conjuration 100, Elemental Potency OR Dark Souls||The player can have two Atronachs, reanimated zombies or Dremora Lords|
|Master Conjuration*||Conjuration 100, Expert Conjuration||Cast Master level Conjuration spells for half magicka|
- Casting Soul Trap on a valid target will raise the skill (a dead body is a valid target).
- Summoning or reanimating a valid target will raise the skill.
- Banishing a valid target will raise the skill (Works for all summons).
- Casting a Bound Item spell while in combat will raise the skill.
- Damage done by summoned or reanimated items or creatures will raise the skill.
Upon reaching Conjuration skill level 90, Phinis Gestor at The College of Winterhold offers the Conjuration Ritual Spell quest to teach the Dragonborn how to permanently summon a Flame Atronach / Frost Atronach / Storm Atronach / Dead Thrall . After completion, Phinis first gives Summon Flame Thrall, then offers all other Master level Conjuration Spell Tomes for a fee of roughly 3,000 , this price varies with the Speech skill perks and/or Barter enchantment(s) on items or from potions.
- Dead Thrall seems not to be as permanent as it claims, as the zombies always seem to spontaneously disappear after a while even if they're in full view.
- Currently a glitch exists where if the Dragonborn has an active Spell Absorption effect (Alteration Perk, Atronach Perk, Dragonskin Power, etc.) summon spells will be absorbed when cast for no net magicka cost.
- Casting Soul Trap on a corpse will cause it to become immune to any attempts at resurrecting it.
- Conjured followers are unaffected by the difficulty setting and thus retain the same effectiveness across all difficulty settings.
- If an enemy that is a conjurer is raised, its summonings and undead may be hostile to that conjurer. They may then kill the conjurer, causing them to disappear.
- A very effective combination using Twin Souls is a conjured Dremora Lord (using two hands) and the shout Call of Valor to summon one of the three original tongues. (Since Call of Valor is a shout not a spell, both can be cast one after the other.) There is very little that can stand against both a Dremora Lord and Hakon One-eye. There may be a bug when using typical conjurations (Summon Dremora Lord) and special conjurations (Call of Valor) even using Twin Souls, a Dremora Lord will disappear if Call of Valor is cast after it. To avoid this remember to cast special conjurations first, then cast a typical conjuration.
- It is not recommended to summon Atronachs at low levels while fighting Dragon Priests as they can use the spell Command Daedra.
- A good way to level up Conjuration for those specializing in the one-handed perk skill tree to buy "Bound Sword" and use it mainly as it increases one-handed and conjuration. Even without the The Mage Stone it levels quickly.
- The shout Summon Durnehviir functions as a conjuration spell unlike Call of Valor. Therefore, if there is already a creature summoned, the shout will replace the summoned creature, also, summoning something else while Durnheviir is still active will prematurely end him.
- Another technique is to find a store owner in a small town, and continuously attack them with a Conjuration spell or any other form of attack magic, while at the same time casting an Alteration or Illusion spell. This will raise magic class level and also give an endless supply of exp., making leveling up easier. For a quick and easy level up use an alteration spell like Oakflesh and an illusion spell like Clairvoyance (bound sword and bound battleaxe can do this too) and cast them (not continuously but in bursts). This raises these skills quickly to level up and get perks.
- Spells of a summoning nature (summon Dremora Lord, summon Familiar, summon Atronach, etc.) may not work. The sound effect will play and the screen will wash out for a moment, but the creature will not appear. This is caused by the Absorb Spell effect. Absorb spell effect may be given by a Guardian Stone, having Atronach perk, or the Breton Dragonskin ability. To fix it, download Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- Sometimes, when casting a Conjure Familiar/Atronach/Dremora Lord, the portal may appear on-time, but the summoned creature may not. They will eventually summon, and the full 60/120 timeframe on non-thralls will not be affected.
- Elemental Atronachs can sometimes attack the Dragonborn if hit by a destruction spell cast by the Dragonborn that causes no effect on the Atronach. (Ex. A Flame Atronach may attack the Dragonborn if hit by a Firebolt.)
- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (First appearance)
- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
| Banish Daedra • Bound Sword • Bound Battleaxe • Bound Bow • Command Daedra • Conjure Dremora Lord |
Conjure Familiar • Conjure Flaming Familiar • Conjure Flame Atronach • Conjure Frost Atronach • Conjure Storm Atronach
Dead Thrall • Dread Zombie • Expel Daedra • Flame Thrall • Frost Thrall • Raise Zombie • Reanimate Corpse • Revenant
Soul Trap • Storm Thrall • Summon Arniel's Shade • Summon Unbound Dremora
|Conjure Boneman • Conjure Mistman • Conjure Wrathman • Summon Arvak|
|Bound Dagger • Conjure Ash Guardian • Conjure Ash Spawn • Conjure Seeker|
|Schools of Magic|
|Alteration • Conjuration • Destruction • Illusion • Restoration|
|Conjuration Ritual Spell • Magicka • Perks • Magic • The College of Winterhold • Conjuration trainers |
Resurrection • Necromancy • Banish
|Skills in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
|The Mage||Alteration · Conjuration · Destruction · Enchanting · Illusion · Restoration|
|The Thief||Alchemy · Light Armor · Lockpicking · Pickpocket · Sneak · Speech|
|The Warrior||Archery · Block · Heavy Armor · One-Handed · Smithing · Two-Handed|