|Location||East of Dawnstar|
Erandur refers to the temple as a ruin within a ruin because at first it was a military fort which fell into ruin and then was occupied by the worshipers of Vaermina and now it fell into ruin once again.
Long ago, a band of Orcs invaded the tower and had a bloody conflict with all those dwelling inside. As a last-ditch effort to prevent the Orcs from seizing the inner sanctum in which the Skull of Corruption stands, the priests release "the Miasma", a gas which instantly puts all those who inhale it into an unbreakable deep hibernation while also keeping those slumbering perfectly preserved. Unfortunately the longer one stays asleep due to "the Miasma", the more their mind breaks down. As such, upon entering the tower and breaking the air-tight seal, "the Miasma" dissipates, allowing the Orcs and the Priests to awaken and begin attacking in a frenzy, not able to tell the difference between friend and foe.
Speaking to Erandur, a follower of Mara, in the Windpeak Inn in Dawnstar will begin a quest to end the nightmares, Waking Nightmare, which involves a visit to Nightcaller Temple; this is in fact the Daedric quest for Vaermina.
Erandur established a small shrine to Mara within the tower’s entry hall, hoping to seek her guidance. Upon entering the shrine, the priest explains how the Skull is the source of everyone's nightmares since it devours dreams and memories for Vaermina to collect.
If the quest Waking Nightmare is completed without killing Erandur, Erandur may be found at the meager shrine in the entry hall. He is available as a follower.
A possible bug on the PS3 occurs when Erandur goes in nothing happens. This can be avoided by entering before Erandur.
- Orcish Invader
- Vaermina Devotee
- 3 Snow Bears, 2 Snow Bears and a Snowy Sabre Cat, Frost Trolls, Ice Wraiths or Frostbite Spiders (Outside)
- Unique Weapon: Skull of Corruption
- 2 Daedra Hearts in the Alchemy Lab. (two on shelves right down the steps once you walk in)
- 3 Fire Salts in the Alchemy Lab.
- A large number of Alchemy ingredients
- Mannimarco, King of Worms (Alchemy Skill Book) To the left of an Alchemy Lab on a ruined table.
- Random enchanted weapon on the body of Thorek
- Random enchanted weapon on the body of Veren Duleri.
- One adept-level chest and two unlocked chests in the lower area.
- One expert-level chest behind unlocked door in library.
- One unlocked chest to right of purple-shaded entryway just inside the temple.
- Copy of Sixteen Accords of Madness, Book VI located in the library section.
- The entrance of the temple is guarded by 3 leveled enemies (for example, Frostbite Spiders, Frost Trolls, or Ice Wraiths).
- On top of the building, there is a chest on the north side. Accessible by jumping on the blocks to the east side.
There is an outcropping of Moonstone Ore on the exterior of the Temple (west side).
- Erandur and allow him to walk into the temple first (at least a 5 second delay). Otherwise the system may lock up, requiring you to restart the game or the console. If he is not in the temple when you walk in, the quest may be locked, and you might not be able to finish it. Ensure that you finish your conversation with
After Erandur gives you the information inside the temple, He may be unable to open library as he gets stuck on the stairs.
- Solution: Target the door at the top of the stairs and enter "unlock" into the console.
- Solution: Run towards Erandur pushing him upwards and towards the stairway wall. When he is at least 4 stairs from the top, he'll react and move on his own.
- Unrelenting Force shout to throw Erandur out of spots where he gets stuck. He will resume walking on his own, and he won't become hostile. Once Erandur is on the same level as the door, if he does not resume walking, position your character close to Erandur and gently nudge him towards the door. When Erandur comes into contact with the door, he will open it and the quest will continue. Solution: Use the
- Sometimes after battle, Erandur will stop being accessible.
- Erandur until he falls to his knees Solution: Attack
- Erandur disappears when he enters the Temple.
- A possible solution is to speak to him a second time outside the Temple before he enters, then wait for 5 seconds before entering yourself, or talk to him while he is walking into the seal. If nothing happens, go back to the inn and Erandur might be there.
prid 0024280 moveto player Solution: use this console command:
- Erandur will get stuck while going up the stairs after you reached the Barrier at the End of the Stairs after you are in.
prid 0024280 moveto player. Then, go back in, and Erandur will open the door to the library. Solution: go out of the temple and type
- Solution: go out of the temple and type
- When you enter Nightcaller Temple, you fall off the map
- When you drink Vaermina's Torpor, the barrier near the alchemy lab entrance is still there, but invisible.
- Solution: Pull the chain while in dreamstride. This is a part of the quest, not a glitch.
Use a Platter (or Wooden Plate?) to walk through one of the grates through which you can see The Skull below. This may be made easier using the Whirlwind Sprint shout. You may also take some damage from the fall. After going through the grate, make your way back to the barrier and take the Common Soul Gem that is reinforcing the barrier to make the barrier vanish. From this point you can continue with the quest without needing to drink Vaermina's Torpor, as Erandur will act as though you had drunk it. (Can someone please confirm this on other consoles?)
- Note: This is also a way to keep the unique potion Vaermina's Torpor which can be stored in chests or dropped as it is not considered a quest item.
During Waking Nightmare, after taking the Vaermina's Torpor and entering the dream-realm, manual and autosaves may cause the game to freeze altogether or crash to the desktop.
- Solution: Turn off all autosave settings while in Nightcaller Temple and avoid saving until you leave again.
- Solution: Leave Nightcaller Temple, then re-enter. Doing so allows you to save normally.
- Solution: Patch Beta Version 1.9 solves the saving problem
Sometimes after killing Erandur nothing happens and you cannot activate the skull pedestal. The pointer will stay above Erandur as if the objective is still to kill him.
- Can someone please identify a solution for this.
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (First appearance)