Onmund seems to dislike his family. He states that his parents wanted him to be a farmer or a hunter instead of a mage, and that it "took years of insisting" that becoming a mage is what he really wanted. If the Dragonborn asks him if it is difficult being away from his family, he replies saying that it was "more like a blessing." When he asks the Dragonborn to retrieve his amulet, he says that even though they treated him badly, he still wants a last reminder of them, as "they are still my family."
Nordic by birth, he gladly enrolls at the college despite the fact that Nords typically don't trust mages. If the Dragonborn is a Nord, he will make note of this, and say that he's glad not to be "the only Nord around." As with the other two apprentices, Brelyna Maryon and J'zargo, he is overeager about advancing his magical abilities.
After completing his personal quest, he becomes available as a follower, and with Hearthfire installed, he can also become a Steward. Also, if the Dragonborn possesses the Amulet of Mara and speaks to him, he or she can marry Onmund:
"Is that an Amulet of Mara? I'm surprised that someone like you isn't spoken for."
Interested in me, are you? "Well, yes. I mean, why wouldn't I be? Are you... interested in me?"
- Yes. Yes I am. "It's settled, then. As brief as life in Skyrim can be, at least we'll have each other."
- No. I'm not. "Oh. Uh...[awkward pause] Forget I said anything then."
- He makes use of the Shock spell, Lightning Bolt, and uses a bow occasionally. He also uses the Fast Healing spell when critically injured, and a Ward to deflect enemy spells.
- When low on health, he may retreat from battle and make himself invisible until he has healed.
- He does not seem to like equipping better versions of mage robes, doing so only occasionally, and will often swap back to his defaults on fast travel. Onmund's main armor skill, unlike most mages, is Heavy Armor. As his default clothing provides no armor, he will equip any armor put into his inventory.
- Given that the only default weapon in his inventory is a Hunting Bow, Onmund will equip any one-handed or two-handed weapon given to him.
- Unlike most followers, Onmund will not dual-wield one-handed weapons if they are put into his inventory; only one will be used.
- He will not use health or magicka potions if they are put into his inventory.
- "My parents were convinced that coming here was a death sentence, or worse. It took years of insisting that this is what I'm meant to do."
- "We're married. I guess we need to decide where we're living, won't we? I guess you can always live with me." - After wedding, before choosing a residence
- "Our new home. I'll see you there." - After choosing a home
- "It's a wonderful house, my love. If you don't mind, I'm going to start a small store. Something to do while you're on the road." - First time greeted in player's home
- "Here, this is fresh. I'll have another ready tomorrow." - When asked to cook a meal
- "We have a cozy little profit. Here, love, this is your share." - When asked if the store has made any money
- "Goodbye, my love." - Ending conversation
- "Hello, my love! Back from some adventure, I'll bet." - Passing comment and opening conversation
- "Yes, my love, what do you need?" - Passing comment
- "I'll gladly kill you myself!"
- "You've dug your own grave!"
- "This is the part where you fall down and bleed to death!"
- "I don't think I like where this is going." - In a "boss" area, or a place with lots of enemies
- "Thanks. I'm not sure it was necessary, though." - When a healing spell is used on him
- "If it will help you, then certainly." - When asked to trade
- "I feel like I can take on all of Skyrim." - When Courage is cast upon him
- "By the Nine!" - Spectacular view or grand architecture
- "A cave up ahead. Trouble or maybe treasure?" - Near a cave
- "I'll stay here. You try not to get into too much trouble." - When told to wait
- "There's a Dwarven city. I heard that they built armor that walks like people." - Outside a Dwarven ruin
- Onmund has a small under bite. This can easily be seen from the side.
- If Onmund is married and his chosen home is the player's, if Onmund is a follower and told to leave, he still says "If that's what you want. I'll be back at the College if you need me," even though the College of Winterhold is no longer his home.
- The same actor for Onmund also voices the male Forsworn.
- When training in the Hall of the Elements at the College of Winterhold, he makes use of the Frostbite spell, though he doesn't use the spell when he is a follower.
This section contains bugs related to Onmund. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- If the Dragonborn chooses to marry Onmund before they have bought a house and they choose for him to live at his house, he might disappear from the college for a while. He will return after the player becomes the Arch-Mage.
- While shooting at targets in the Hall of the Elements, he will not stop if a character crosses his spell, injuring them.
After moving Onmund to a house outside of the College of Winterhold, he will lose his status as a 'Follower' and can no longer accompany the player on quests.
- This can be fixed. After marrying Onmund, the player needs let him leave the Temple of Mara and don't talk to him about where they want to live. He may disappear after a while but will eventually be in his room at the college. Simply asking him to follow the player character will now let him move anywhere else and still keep his follower status.
- If Onmund is married, even after having a house and being Arch-Mage he still disappears.
- If one has Onmund as a follower after marrying him, his dialogue list will not show the option for cooking a meal.
- After delivering the amulet to Onmund it is possible to acquire him as a follower while still having Serana as a companion, thereby having two followers. This is true for any follower.
- When asked to follow the Dragonborn, Onmund may sometimes take on the dialogue of Talvas, Neloth's apprentice, saying that Master Neloth will likely not mind him leaving.
- follower, or married and at the player's home, he still may have one or both of his conversation options that he would have at the College; one about "why do Nords hate magic," and/or if he hates his family. When he is a active
- If selected as a house steward for Heljarchen Hall, he may not take up residence there and will always travel back to the College.