|Quest Giver||Esbern or Delphine|
|Reward||Allies with the Blades|
Delphine and Esbern learn of Paarthurnax's position as leader of the Greybeards. They inform the Dragonborn of Paarthurnax's former position as Alduin's lieutenant during the Dragon War and claim he was responsible for many unspecified atrocities against humankind. Bound by their oaths as Blades, they refuse the Dragonborn further assistance until Paarthurnax is slain. This quest is optional; it does not need to be completed in order to finish the main quest.
This quest is optional, but in order to continue the Blades storyline, it must be completed before the conclusion of the Main Quest. However, doing so will prevent any further communication with the Greybeards, including the radiant quest to locate Words of Power. The conclusion of the main storyline, obviously, slightly differs depending on whether or not Paarthurnax is still living.
Defeating Paarthurnax is not especially difficult as he displays only the usual powers common to all dragons and at this point the player must have access to both the Dragonrend shout and the Dragonbane sword.
How to NOT kill Paarthurnax (PC only)Edit
It is possible to complete this quest without needing to slay Paarthurnax by using command:
setstage MQPaarthurnax 100
This way, Paarthurnax will remain alive, the Greybeards will still be hospitable, and the Blades will talk once more. The speech options regarding Paarthurnax's termination are still available if spoken with Arngeir, however.
There are also mods available to bypass this quest or the player could use the console command (setessential <baseID> 0) and kill the Blades instead.
Delphine and Esbern have discovered that Paarthurnax was one of Alduin's chief allies during the ancient Dragon War. They refuse to give me any more help until I kill Paarthurnax.
Delphine and Esbern have discovered that Paarthurnax was one of Alduin's chief allies during the ancient Dragon War. I killed him, as they requested.
- Speaking to Arngeir regarding the Blades' request, he will tell the Dragonborn about Paarthurnax's reason for siding with Alduin and later, his rebellion which brought to Alduin's first demise. There is the option to tell Arngeir, Paarthurnax must die or that he is going to be spared. This will affect the conversation between Esbern and Arngeir in Season Unending, during the negotiation of a treaty.
- Should the Civil War questline be complete (thus bypassing Season Unending) and the player proceeds directly to the endgame, Delphine and Esbern will remain in Sky Haven Temple. However, they remain in disapproval and the quest disappears from the log.
- There is no actual way of denying the request of the Blades, other than simply abstaining from doing it.
- Without Arngeir, it is still possible to get radiant quests for words of power by shouting in a town or some other inhabited place and waiting for a Letter from a Friend.
- This quest is still possible to complete after completing Season Unending by depleting all of Paarthurnax's health then quickly fast traveling to Sky Haven Temple.
- It is possible to kill Paarthurnax directly after the quest, Alduin's Bane, since he is no longer an essential character. Once he is dead, travel to Sky Haven Temple and talk to Esbern. He will introduce the Dragonborn to the quest to kill Paarthurnax, but you can tell him Paarthurnax is already dead. (Also, this will NOT interfere with the Peace Treaty mission at High Hrothgar later).
This section contains bugs related to Paarthurnax (Quest). Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
|Click to see bugs encountered|