Pest Control is a Knight Order quest available during the events of The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall. The Agent, in hopes of improving their standing in one of the Orders, is tasked with clearing out a pack of pests from a local house.
Having escaped from Privateer's Hold, the Agent may wander around the Iliac Bay freely. A potential source of income, and reputation, can be found by working for one of the ten Knight Orders, which serve ten regions across the Bay. In order to join an Order, however, the Agent will have to prove their abilities by completing some "mundane" tasks.
- Speak with a Quester from a Knight Order.
- Find and enter the house specified.
- Destroy all pests that appear.
- Return to the Quester before the time limit expires to complete the quest.
Speaking to a Quester from one of the Knight Orders of the Iliac Bay reveals that a local house has been infested with some pests. Although the Agent has no real standing in the Order, the Quester is willing to give them "some small trial of arms" to prove their worth. He informs them that a house in the town has been infested by a group of creatures, and that the Agent must clear them out within a single day.
The Pest ProblemEdit
The Quester will only give the Agent the name of the house, not any directions, so a brief interrogation of the local population is in order. Once the house has been found the Agent will have to enter and hunt down the first creature to spawn. The creature, either a giant rat, giant bat, giant scorpion or giant spider will appear a moment after the Agent enters.
The Agent will then have to methodically kill any other creatures that spawn, continuing until a message appears stating that the house has been cleared. With that the Agent may leave the house and return to the Quester to complete the quest.
The Agent will not receive any physical reward for completing the quest successfully, only the standard bonuses or penalties to their reputation depending on success or failure:
|Pest Control - b0c00y13|
In [town], I met [Quester's name] of the knightly order. I can curry favor with the knights if I rid [residence] in [town] of its infestation for [him/her].
- It is implied that the house is owned by the Quester when speaking with NPCs.
- The number of creatures that spawn during the quest is random, although it will never exceed:
- Giant rats - Ten.
- Giant bats - Eight.
- Giant scorpions/spiders - Four.
- The Exterminator is an almost identical quest that the Agent can obtain through a Merchant.
- The later titles The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion have similar quests, focused on Rats.
- NPCs will make a variety of remarks during and after the quest when spoken to regarding any news:
- "Very strange sounds come out of the [residence].'
- "[Quester's name]'s house has really gone to Oblivion."
- "[Residence] is finally at peace."
- "Those critters are out of [residence] at last."
- "Poor [Quester's name] has to hire an exterminator."
- "It's going to cost [Quester's name] to clean that house."
|The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall – Knight Orders|
|Allies of Daggerfall||Knights of the Dragon • Knights of the Owl|
|Allies of Wayrest||Knights of the Flame • Knights of the Rose • Order of the Raven|
|Allies of Sentinel||Host of the Horn • Knights of the Hawk • Knights of the Wheel • Order of the Candle • Order of the Scarab|
|Non-member Quests||The Traitor • The Hunter • Band of Orcs • Pest Control|
|Member Quests||Rescue a Princess • Retribution • Crazed Orc Mercenary • The Orcish Hoard • The Orc Raids • Giant Raiding • Banish the Ghost • Eternal Rest|
|Elite Member Quests||The Dragonslayer • Invasion from Oblivion • Artifact of Power • The Army of the Undead • The Lost Artifact|
|Services||Quester • Seneschal • Smith|