| Base Damage:|
| Base Value:|
|Class: One-Handed, War Axe|
|Upgrade Material: Iron Ingot|
Pickaxes can be found in caves and ruins where excavations are taking place, and in/near mines.
- A pickaxe may be found at Embershard Mine. After passing the Guardian Stones, there will be a dirt path with wooden steps leading up to the mine.
- Several pickaxes can be found in Cidhna Mine.
- A pickaxe can be found on the table upon entering the Bthardamz Upper District in Bthardamz.
- A pickaxe can be found in Welyin's room which is located in The Warrens.
Pickaxes are required for mining. It can either be equipped as a weapon and swung at the ore vein to extract the ore, or the ore can be mined automatically by activating the vein with a pickaxe in the inventory.
Pickaxes can be improved at a grindstone with an iron ingot. However, it is not affected by any Smithing perks. This means that the highest quality that can be achieved is Flawless, unless the Smithing skill is boosted passed 100 through enchanted apparel or potions of Fortify Smithing.
- Notched Pickaxe: A unique pickaxe only found at the very top of the Throat of the World. It can be only obtained during or after "The Throat of the World."
- Ancient Nordic Pickaxe: A variation of the pickaxe that can only be found in the add-on Dragonborn. It is the only pickaxe variant that is capable of mining stalhrim, but functions like a normal pickaxe on other minerals.
- Hoarfrost: Another variation found in Dragonborn, it can be looted from Ralis Sedarys after killing him or taken from his inventory as a follower.
- With Dragonborn, the player can keep a weightless ancient Nordic pickaxe by taking the "Retrieve the Ancient Nordic Pickaxe" quest from Glover Mallory and refusing to complete it.
- Miners will use the pickaxe as a weapon in combat, as it is the only weaponized item in their inventory.
- A pickaxe swings at the same speed as a sword.
- Dual wielding pickaxes yields ore twice as fast as using one.
- A pickaxe will be present at a homestead, once bought.
- Swinging a pickaxe will result in a horizontal slash, followed by a fast vertical swing downward.
- Attacking ore with a pickaxe may be more efficient than clicking it and mining that way.
This section contains bugs related to Pickaxe. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- If the pickaxe is equipped as a weapon and the Dragonborn begins mining, it will show both on their side and in their hand at the same time.