Precious Gems are valuable items found in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Six exist in the game world: Diamond, Emerald, Sapphire, Ruby, Topaz, and Pearl. Gold and Silver Nuggets are classified as precious gems. Flawless Diamonds have one of the highest value per weight-unit in the entire game.
Unlike Soul Gems, precious gems serve no practical function and cannot be used in the crafting of items; however, due to their rarity, they can be sold for various amounts of septims, depending on their quality. Gems come in three qualities: flawed, flawless, and an unmarked standard quality. Value is ranged from flawed, standard, and flawless respectively. Due to their lightweight and high value, gems are ideal loot when spelunking caves and dungeons.
Obtaining gems is relatively random. While most gems appear as radiant loot from containers and corpses, some locations statically produce the same gems, always. Various general goods merchants trade gems, having them available for purchase while also willingly buying them. Magic-related merchants and curiosity shops also purchase gems, even if they do not sell them. Countess of Chorrol, Arriana Valga, gives various precious gems as a reward for completing "Canvas the Castle".
All gems have a weight of 0.1, and all nuggets have a weight of 0.25.
Loot and dungeon dropsEdit
- Nuggets may be found in deposits inside various caves.
- Pearls may be found in clams on the bottom of bodies of water.
- While most gems are found as random loot in Oblivion, some gem locations are static. For example, several expensive gems can be found in Martin Septim's chambers at Cloud Ruler Temple. A sapphire and a ruby can be found during the Tutorial, aside the inanimate skeleton where the first Iron Bow is found. Further into the quest, other gems statically appear in a chest near the Goblin Shaman that wields the game's first obtainable staff.
- Merchants throughout Cyrodiil buy and sell gems; many of the merchants that buy and sell jewelry also buy and sell gems. General Goods merchants and magic-related merchants also buy gems.
- Countess Arriana Valga grants a series of gemstones, along with a handful of leveled septims, as a reward for completing "Canvas the Castle".
Comparisons with other gamesEdit
This section contains bugs related to Precious Gem (Oblivion). Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Gold nuggets cannot be used to restore magical items at Magicka Essences inside Oblivion if the book Arcana Restored is also possessed.