Loot and dungeon drops
- Gems may be found while mining.
- There is a Flawless Sapphire and a Flawless Amethyst in the Temple of Dibella in Markarth. Inside the Inner Sanctum on a shelf.
- Amaund Motierre has a Sapphire, an Emerald, and a Diamond.
- There is a Flawless diamond, 3 flawless garnets and a lockbox on a boat directly north of Reachwater Rock just southwest of Sky Haven Temple . If you follow your map to the mine you'll go through a stream where you will find the boat.
- Giants can sometimes carry precious gems with them.
- The miscellaneous quest received at Merryfair Farm (northwest of Riften) rewards you with randomly generated gemstones, typically one flawless and 2-3 others.
- A Flawless Ruby can be found in the Emperor's bedchambers on board The Katariah.
- A Ruby or Flawless Ruby can also be found in the throne room in South Shriekwind Bastion.
- In Mercer Frey's house, there's a bowl filled with one of each type of gem. Each gem has approximately a 50% chance to be flawless.
- In Anuriel's room in Mistveil Keep, there is a sapphire, ruby, and a lesser value gem. Grabbing these gems is considered a crime.
- Sapphire in Riften, usually found near The Bee and Barb, has two sapphires that can be pickpocketed.
- In Riften, a thief will occasionally spawn around the market area and quickly get killed by the guards. He seems to always be carrying a random gem, along with a few other useful items. Going in and out of buildings at night seems to spawn more thieves so you can effectively farm them for very little work.
- Found randomly throughout Skyrim (chest, ore veins, NPC's).
- Gems may occasionally be dropped by dragons.
- In rare occasions gems can sometimes be found on animals, most often Skeevers. (The animal supposedly ate the gem.)
- Most of the time gems can be found on bandits or in their hideouts.
- A Flawless Diamond can be found in Kagrenzel sitting on top of the 2nd arch way from the exit to Stony Creek Cave, you can jump to get it or simply blow it off with Unrelenting Force.
- A Flawless Diamond can be found in Skuldafn Temple in the room right before the end, along with a Flawless Amethyst and a Flawless Emerald underneath a linen wrap in a bowl on the bottom bookshelf.
- Khajiit Caravan traders usually have several precious gems to sell.
- A Flawless Diamond along with a Flawless Emerald and a Flawless Garnet can be all found in a pot in Skuldafn before the gate leading outside.
Merchants throughout Skyrim also buy and sell gems; many of the merchants that buy and sell jewelry will also buy and sell gems. General Goods merchants can also buy gems.
- Main article: Jewelry (Skyrim)
- Precious Gems can be combined with Silver Ingots and Gold Ingots to produce Jewelry.
- Talen-Jei employs the Dragonborn with locating three Flawless Amethysts for a wedding band.
- Madesi asks the Dragonborn to find two Flawless Sapphire for a special amulet he is crafting along with a Mammoth Tusk and a single Gold Ore.
- Kesh from the Shrine to Peryite asks for a Flawless Ruby to commune with Peryite as well as single Deathbell, Vampire Dust and an Silver Ingot.
- Precious Gemstones should not be confused with Soul Gems, which serve an entirely different purpose.
- Flawless gemstones appear slightly different from normal gemstones. Gemstones have a somewhat irregular surface, while flawless gemstones are symetrical.
- Flawless Diamonds have the highest value per weight unit in the entire game, thereby offering the most efficient way to rack up especially since they're fairly easy to come by with the Prowler's Profit ability.