Prisons in OblivionEdit
There are prisons in every major city. There you can visit the prison or be sent if you commit a crime. If you are caught in the wild, you are sent to the nearest towns prison. When being sent to prison you can keep a lock pick to try and break out of prison. When breaking out of prison, you can find everything you own in a chest nearby. If you do not escape prison, but instead serve your sentence, all stolen items can be found in the same chest. Also, if you serve your sentence, your level in some skills, such as Armorer or Marksman may decrease and, at rare times, Security or Sneak will increase.
Prison in SkyrimEdit
After committing a crime and being put into a jail, one of your options is to escape it.
When you are put in the jail, after committing a crime you suffer a skill decrease and your progress towards the next skill level in all skills is reset to zero.
- The prison in Dawnstar has a Lockpicking Skillbook, The Wolf Queen, v I.
- NEVER try to escape prison through the front door, even at a high skill level. There is usually a hidden exit. In Dragonsreach there is a grate, in Solitude there is a crumbling wall, etc.
- In Whiterun, it is possible to shout through the door while in prison in order to prompt a guard to walk over and tell you to "stop that shouting." If this happens while you are standing in the back of the prison, the guard will open the prison door to get to the Dragonborn.
- A bug may occur after the first 40 hours of playing time on the first character where going to jail will result in the freezing of the game and the player may not be able to pay off his/her bounty unless they decide to relinquish the coin necessary for the transaction to occur. This may be a problem if the player has a large fine in a hold and may not be able to pay off the bounty. This could also result in the incompletion of quests, if the player happens to have an unpayable bounty in the vicinity of the quest area, that is.
- If you get arrested wearing armor, and you break out of prison and don't grab the armor you were arrested in, and then get arrested in the same town again wearing different armor, you will have 2 sets of armor equipped when you are released.