After recovering books about the Eye of Magnus, the Dragonborn heads back to the College of Winterhold to inform Savos Aren of their discovery. Upon arriving, Ancano approaches, curious about a visitor from the Psijic Order, who is requesting the Dragonborn's presence. Heading to the Arch-Mage's Quarters to speak with them, the Dragonborn learns that it is Quaranir. Quaranir wants to speak with the Dragonborn privately, and magically veils their conversation from Savos and Ancano.
Time is fleeting, so he is quick to impart that the Order has had little success in contacting the Dragonborn previously and that this is probably because of the Eye of Magnus. According to Quaranir, the longer the Eye remains in the College, the more dangerous the situation becomes. They expect dire consequences if the Eye is not banished, but the future is obscure, and the Psijic Order is unsure of how the Dragonborn must act. Seeking out the Augur of Dunlain is the next logical step. Moments later, there is a flash of light, and time resumes as normal.
Traversing Labyrinthian, the Dragonborn searches for the fabled Staff of Magnus, which is needed to control the Eye of Magnus. Morokei, a Dragon Priest, holds the staff and must be battled to obtain it. The battle is difficult and recommended for levels 20 and above.
Defeated, Ancano releases his hold on the Eye of Magnus. Quaranir and Nerien appear to transport the Eye out of the College, possibly to Artaeum, for safe keeping. Quaranir and the other members of the Psijic Order disappear after this.
- Quaranir can also be found after meeting with the Dragonborn at the College. He resides at The Frozen Hearth, however he does not engage in conversation and cannot be pickpocketed. Upon a pickpocket attempt, he acts as if dialogue was initiated and speaks his lines.
- Quaranir is not detectable by the Alteration spells Detect Life or Detect Dead.
- The same thing happens with the Dragon Shout, Aura Whisper.
- Quaranir is not affected by any attacks, including shouts, and the kill command
- During the time that Quaranir freezes time to talk to you, he will not do anything if you steal, making this time a great time to get alchemy ingredients and a few potions. (However all of it will be marked a stealing so you will either have to use them or find a fence)