As well as being Igmund's steward, he is also his uncle and helps with the administration of Markarth. He manages the household, serves as the treasurer and commands the palace guards. Raerek also advises Jarl Igmund, he advised Igmund's father as well.
Raerek is very cautious when it comes to advising the Jarl; although Igmund and Faleen think Raerek is too cautious. Raerek warns the Jarl however that the Forsworn live not only the hills, but also in the city. Igmund thinks that the Legion should be gathered and drive the Forsworn out of the Reach, Raerek however disagrees, as he says the Legion doesn't know about the hills of the Reach and the caves that make up those hills, he then says that the Forsworn will hide and ambush every assault. Raerek believes the best way to defeat the Forsworn is to wait them out.
As part of a miscellaneous quest, Boethela asks the Dragonborn to make a delivery to Raerek at Understone Keep.
If given the Stallion's Potion, he will be thankful for the discretion, hinting that he has some form of erectile dysfunction.
- "I'm Igmund's uncle as well as his steward."
- "The Forsworn know every stone in the Reach. We have to wait them out."
This section contains bugs related to Raerek. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- After initially inquiring about the house for sale, if the Dragonborn does not have enough gold, the option is then erased. This can be fixed on the PC using the console command "setstage favor250 20", then talking to the Jarl. He will make the Dragonborn a Thane, and Raerek will then allow purchase of the house.
- After completing the mission given by the Jarl and asking him if there is anything else, he will give another quest. If the reward for that second quest is turned in before speaking to Raerak, the option to purchase a house will disappear.
- This can be avoided by talking to Raerek and purchasing the house before turning the second quest in to to the Jarl.