As well as being Igmund's steward, he is also his uncle and helps with the administration of Markarth. He manages the household, serves as the treasurer and commands the palace guards. Raerek also advises Jarl Igmund, he advised Igmund's father as well.
Raerek is very cautious when it comes to advising the Jarl; although Igmund and Faleen think Raerek is too cautious. Raerek warns the Jarl however that the Forsworn live not only the hills, but also in the city. Igmund thinks that the Legion should be gathered and drive the Forsworn out of the Reach, Raerek however disagrees, as he says the Legion doesn't know about the hills of the Reach and the caves that make up those hills, he then says that the Forsworn will hide and ambush every assault. Raerek believes the best way to defeat the Forsworn is to wait them out.
As part of a miscellaneous quest, Boethela asks the Dragonborn to make a delivery to Raerek at Understone Keep.
If given the Stallion's Potion, he will be thankful for the discretion, hinting that he has some form of erectile dysfunction.
Raerek is to be blackmailed by the Dragonborn's knowledge of his secret Talos worship into releasing important information and assets.
When confronted with proof of his belief in Talos, something he has been hiding, the following conversation will take place between Raerek and the Dragonborn:
Recognize this? "I suppose you're here to extort something from me? Is that it? Well, what is it you want?"
- If you believe in Talos, why don't you join our cause? "So. You're one of Ulfric's spies. I can't deny the man is right about a few things... But I've seen first hand what Ulfric is capable of, given the chance. Suffice it say, he is no friend to Markarth, and no friend of mine. My first and only loyalties are to my nephew, and to this city."
- What if this were made public? "The Thalmor would need to make an example of me... I'd be thrown into prison, but our family's honor would be stained for generations. I'm the Jarl's uncle. He, his father, and I, swore oaths to the Empire to abandon Talos, as conditions of our return to the city."
- Perhaps we could come to some kind of agreement? "What if I told you about a large shipment of silver and weapons?"
- Go on. I'm listening. "Oh, no. I won't tell you anything more until we have an agreement."
- How much are we talking about? "Enough to make a significant difference in the war."
- And what about something for me, right now? "Well I... I suppose I'm not left much choice in the matter, am I? Very well. I trust a hefty purse of septims will suffice?"
- All right, it's a deal. Where can I find this shipment? "They're taking it by wagon to Solitude. If you hurry, you'll catch them before they get far. It'll be a fairly slow moving caravan. The shipment is quite heavy, and guarded by many men. Now, let's pretend we never had this discussion."
- "I'm Igmund's uncle as well as his steward."
- "The Forsworn know every stone in the Reach. We have to wait them out."
This section contains bugs related to Raerek. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- After initially inquiring about the house for sale, if the Dragonborn does not have enough gold, the option is then erased. This can be fixed on the PC using the console command "setstage favor250 20", then talking to the Jarl. He will make the Dragonborn a Thane, and Raerek will then allow purchase of the house.
- After completing the mission given by the Jarl and asking him if there is anything else, he will give another quest. If the reward for that second quest is turned in before speaking to Raerak, the option to purchase a house will disappear.
- This can be avoided by talking to Raerek and purchasing the house before turning the second quest in to to the Jarl.