|Location||South of Morthal|
|Characters||Sild the Warlock|
It is located in the Rannveig's Fast area of the southern mountains of Hjaalmarch. It can be reached by approaching the southern-face of the mountains located south of Morthal. Upon approach, one will spy crumbling stone ruins and stone steps leading up the mountain to the entrance of Rannveig's Fast and further upwards towards South Cold Rock Pass. It is north-east of Rorikstead.
Outside the ruin you will encounter three Subjugated Ghosts. These ghosts will apologize for attacking you, saying it isn't what they want to do.
Upon entering the ruin you will find yourself in a large room, with plant life covering the ground including two Mountain Flowers. The next room contains a Subjugated Ghost in front of a table with potions. The third room opens up onto an overlook with a Subjugated Ghost seen patrolling below near some thistle.
At the back of this room is a word wall, and an empty chest. Just in front of the chest there is a large trap door in the floor. You can avoid the trap by jumping onto the horseshoe-shaped ledge that runs along the base of the word wall, allowing you to obtain one of the words of power for the shout Kyne's Peace. You can then exit the ruin the way you came in, or drop through the trap door to meet Sild the Warlock, and clear the rest of the ruin. If you want to avoid having to do the entire ruin, and you have a follower, it's best to make them wait away from the wall and trap door before going to obtain the word of power, as the follower will swiftly "accidentally" fall through it, forcing you to drop down after them, as they will not be able to escape without you.
Upon falling through the trap door you will find yourself in a locked cage. There are several methods to escaping Slid's Cage, which has an expert lock. The easiest way to get out of the cage is to look in Slid's assistant's satchel/knapsack on the floor right next to the cage; it should have one key in it. Upon your arrival Slid will begin to monologue and begin to search for the proper poison to perform experiments on you. During this time you can pick the expert lock, there are several lockpicks on the bodies in the water so you'll have plenty of tries. Alternatively you can sneak and pickpocket the key off of Slid while he's still close enough. Your companion may also be commanded to open the cage door for you, allowing you to get out, and another alternative method is to use a conjure spell on Sid's own, dead companion, who will open the door for you to escape. There is plenty of loot to be had in Sild's dungeon once you leave the cage. Killing Sild will give you his key, Black Mage Robes, and an Elven or Dwarven Dagger. Also at higher levels he will have a staff of fireballs. The key unlocks the expert chest which contains levelled loot. Sild's Journal describes his trap and his desire to experiment on his prisoners. Dead bodies can be found locked in cages with the key, confirming that these are the bodies of the summoned ghosts roaming the area. The room is filled with various potions and poisons, as well as an Alchemy Lab. If you wait around for a few minutes, another bandit will drop down the trap door and die instantly.
Leaving Sild's dungeon down the hall to the left will have you encounter a Subjugated Ghost with a passageway on the left leading to a door that must be raised by the nearby lever. One path leads to the original room with the trapdoor, the other leads upstairs where another lever may be found.
Taking the upper path first will allow you to circumvent Sild's trap by opening the gate to the lower levels, thus giving you the drop on him. The path takes you across a bridge over the trapdoor room with a Subjugated Ghost in the next room along with and apprentice locked chest containing gold but otherwise a dead-end.
Leaving Sild's dungeon down the hall to the right will have you encounter a Subjugated Ghost with a dead-end wooden door on the right and an expert locked iron door on the left (can be unlocked with Sild's key). Behind the iron door leads to the way out of the dungeon as well as a chest.
You will find a Stone of Barenziah on the table next to the Alchemy Lab.
- 5x Subjugated Ghost (3 more outside)
- Sild the Warlock
Items of InterestEdit
- Iron Dagger of Torpor (or Iron Dagger of Shocks) - On the table next to the alchemy lab in Sild's dungeon.
- Skill Book: Horror of Castle Xyr (Destruction Skill Book) - On a table next to alchemy lab in Sild's dungeon.
- Unusual Gem (Stone of Barenziah) - next to the skill book/Iron dagger/Alchemy lab
- Diamond - inside the topmost room with a Bandit corpse leaning over a large basket
An Alchemy Lab can be found in Sild's dungeon.
- 2x Mountain Flower
- 1x Thistle
- Using the Ritual stone's power inside the trap will reanimate the dead bandits inside of the cage.
- The ghosts can not be released from Sild's spell even after he is killed, and will remain hostile.
- The gate to the trap may simply be unlocked, not requiring picking or a key, making escape very easy.
- Sometimes after finishing his dialogue, Sild will not turn hostile.
- Gunmar, especially if the location is Rannveig's Fast. The Nightmaster Vampire will be in the room with Sild, and will turn hostile upon seeing the Dragonborn. This seems to turn Sild hostile as well, preventing the Dragonborn from hearing his monologue. Installing the Dawnguard DLC may cause issues with the quest "Preemptive Strike" by
- The Subjugated Ghost in the third section of Rannveig's Fast's head may stream a line through the entire map, and giving it the appearance of being headless.
- Sild's assistant, a female dark elf, is lying dead on the floor nearby. If you fell into the trap, Sild refers to his assistant as a 'HE' in the monologue.
- If the Dragonborn falls in the trap and acquires the key of Rannveig's Fast either by looting the bag near Silds apprentice or by pickpocketing Sild, a companion may open the cage and allow the Dragonborn to leave it with Sild remaining passive.
- The word wall itself can sometimes be bugged where the word sounds play but there is no visible word and no way to absorb that word making it impossible to get the "Thu'um Master" achievement.
- If you make your way round the trap door to the word wall but a companion falls through the trap they will reappear after a moment apparently bouncing out of the trap door.
- Sometimes the Stone of Barenziah will not be in the spot it should be in.
- It is possible to enter Rannveig's Fast through the back entrance by climbing up a nearby stone and using a Whirlwind Shout. This can lead to a number of the bugs above.
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (First appearance)