|Location||Southeast of Markarth|
West of Old Hroldan
Reachwater Rock is a cave located in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
The entrance to Reachwater Rock is behind a waterfall. A bridge can be seen from the road, circle around behind it to find the path up to the cave entrance. Reachwater Rock is the final resting place of Arch-Mage Gauldur.
On the way in, get the Emerald Dragon Claw from the pedestal with the note next to the dead adventurer. If the Forbidden Legend quest isn't active, take his copy of Lost Legends and read it to start the quest. The note on the pedestal hints of a gruesome trial ahead. In the water surrounding the pedestal is an adept locked chest with some potions and random loot. There is also a skeleton with random sword, shield, helmet and gold. There is a Orichalcum Ore vein beside the Juniper Berry tree. There is another chest on a ledge directly opposite the first dragon claw door. It is too far to jump, but the gap can be crossed by using Whirlwind Sprint while standing in front of the gap. The chest is not locked, and contains random loot.
- It is possible to reach the cliff side chest using one word of Whirlwind Sprint. To do this, stand upon the broken piece of decor right beside the adventurer, aim slightly right and above of the chest or try to stand on the branches of the tree the adventurer's corpse is laying against.
Let this place be forgotten forever.
Let it be struck from the rolls of history.
Let it never be spoken of by man or mer.
Let its very name be lost to the ages.
Ye who enter here, know:
This place was sealed at great price.
Honor those who perished here.
Turn back, and leave them to their rest.
See the Forbidden Legend main page for more information on this location.
Match up the Emerald Dragon Claw with the door (Bear, Whale, Snake) and unlock it. Three other doors will unlock behind it and drop down, making an expansive hallway. At the end of the hall (there are no enemies or traps) unlock the last door with the Ivory Dragon Claw (Hawk, Hawk, Dragon).
Place the three fragments on the altar in any order (it will automatically remove them from the inventory). The three spirits of the Gaulderson brothers will manifest over the alter, and in turn each will challenge the Dragonborn. The first challenger is Mikrul Gauldurson, who summons Draugr, but they die when Mikrul does. The second challenger is Sigdis Gauldurson, who will teleport about and make three copies of himself, the real one will have horns on the side of his helmet while the copies have horns pointing straight up. The third is a straightforward fight with Jyrik Gauldurson, who changes between elemental affinities each time his teleported, represented by the graphic effect around him. The ghosts teleport on set locations. It is possible to stay hidden the entire time, and their souls can be trapped.
After defeating Jyrik, Gauldur's ghost will appear and reforge the amulet. Take it to complete the quest.
After winning the battle and collecting the amulet, check the casket on the upper platform. Gauldur's remains are inside, along with a large amount of gold. And on the way out a door will have opened with another chest and miscellaneous loot.
- There is an abundance of Namira's Rot, Fly Amanita, Bleeding Crown, Imp Stool, and a handful of White Cap, Blisterwort and Juniper Berries.
- Check the pool at the entrance to loot an adept-level locked chest and a skeleton with a random greatsword.
- From the exit from the cave, head north-west down the river (towards Kolskeggr Mine), there is an abandoned row-boat with an adept-level locked strongbox and an apothecary's satchel. There's also a soul gem, soul gem fragment, emerald and flawless diamond on the floor of the boat. In the river next to the boat is a mead barrel and a chest containing gold and random loot.
- The second son, Sigdis Gauldurson, provides an effective way to train Sneak. Since the clones have less health than the original and killing them with a single melee attack does not break stealth, it is possible to keep killing clones to repeatedly gain the large experience bonus from melee sneak attacks.
This section contains bugs related to Reachwater Rock. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
|Click to see the list of bugs encountered|