|Location||Northwest of the Thalmor Embassy|
- Main article: Unmarked Locations (Skyrim)
Reeking Cave is located to the northwest and underneath the Thalmor Embassy, to which it is connected by a trapdoor. The cave is the lair of a Frost Troll and the last resting place of a mage with a skill book.
To find it from the outside, fast travel to the Thalmor Embassy. The Dragonborn will arrive in front of the gates facing north. Turn west and head to the rocks nearby. Carefully descend those rocks, then continue downhill to a road. Follow the road north until you see the path veer left and you should see it on the right. Look for a narrowing with a rock on the left and a large tree on the right. There will be another tree on the right about ten feet further downhill. Between the rock and tree is a dark arch, which is the cave entrance.
- The Dragonborn will escape from the Thalmor Embassy through this cave during Diplomatic Immunity.
- No Stone Unturned (as of patch 1.4).
- The Stone of Barenziah will only appear in the cave if the player does not take the stone from the Thalmor Embassy during the quest Diplomatic Immunity, as there is no way to return to the embassy after leaving.
- The troll and other objects in the cave do not respawn.
- Despite entering through a trapdoor, when one looks up, they can see that the drop into the cave is actually quite a long way down.