|Repairing the Phial|
|Quest Giver||Quintus Navale|
Throat of the World
Red Eagle Redoubt
|Prerequisite||Completion of The Throat of the World and The White Phial|
Three days (72 hours) must pass after both quests finish
|Reward||The White Phial with one of the chosen effects|
The White Phial has been found and delivered to Nurelion, damaged and unusable. Being overcome by sickness, he is bedridden and dying.
A few days after completing The White Phial and The Throat of the World quests, a courier will deliver a letter from Nurelion's assistant, Quintus Navale. The letter explains that his master is still alive and Quintus asks you to come and talk about the possibility of repairing the Phial. Upon repairing the phial, he gives it to the Dragonborn as a reward.
- Return to The White Phial to receive quests
- Obtain Unmelting Snow
- Obtain Mammoth Tusk Powder
- Obtain a Briar Heart
- Return items to Quintus Navale
WalkthroughEditIn order to repair the Phial, Quintus asks you to find three ingredients:
- Unmelting Snow can be obtained from the Throat of the World. Unmelting Snow is an otherwise unmarked snowbank a short distance south of Paarthurnax at the Throat of the World which can be extremely difficult to find without floating quest markers, even with the use of Clairvoyance.
- Mammoth Tusk Powder can be obtained from Stonehill Bluff. The Mammoth Tusk Powder is found in a bowl in the middle of the encampment. It is different from the Powdered Mammoth Tusk alchemy ingredient.
- The Briar Heart can be taken from any living or deceased Forsworn Briarheart and the map points to one possible place to find one (exact location varies). Briar Hearts can also be found as loot most typically in Forsworn camps and can even be purchased from Alchemist shops. Quint Navale sells them as well.
Once you have all three, return to Quintus Navale and watch him repair the Phial. When complete, he takes the Phial upstairs to show it to his dying master, Nurelion. Upon seeing the Phial whole again, Nurelion dies. Quintus comments that his master died happy, realizing his life's work was completed. Quintus, however, can't stand to have the Phial around anymore because it reminds him of Nurelion's obsession. Instead, he gives it to the Dragonborn. However, since he isn't as skilled as Curalmil, its creator, the Phial will only regenerate a single kind of magical liquid. You get to choose what it will produce:
- I'd like it to have the power of healing. (+100 health)
- I want to resist the forces of magic. (20% magic resist for 60 seconds)
- I want to be tougher in battle. (+20 stamina for 300 seconds)
- I want to strengthen my magical skills. (+20 magicka for 300 seconds)
- I want to deal more damage in battle. (+50% to one handed damage for 60 seconds)
- I want to be better hidden in the shadows. (20% harder to detect for 60 seconds)
After you drink from the Phial it will be listed as "(Empty)" and the item will appear in inventory as a special Miscellaneous item and will not disappear meaning that you can have multiple "White Phial (Empty)'s" in your inventory at one time. These weigh 0.5 each and can be dropped. (Unsure whether this is a bug or not). After 24 hours the liquid inside the Phial will regenerate and the potion will be drinkable again.
- Most of these bugs have been fixed in the Skyrim 1.4 update.
- As of the 1.4 Update, the quest can be completed even if it had already bugged due to having a briar heart in your inventory when you speak to the courier. However, all briar hearts will still be listed as quest items and will be unusable in alchemy and cannot be sold. All but one can be eaten, but the last one will still remain in inventory: undroppable, unsellable, inedible, unusable.
- Briar Heart in your inventory when this quest is started, it is possible for the script of the quest to break. All subsequent Briar Hearts that are picked up will stack as quest items, becoming undroppable and unusable as alchemy ingredients. If you have 2 or more Briar Hearts in your inventory when returning to Quintus, the non-quest one will be used and your are left with a marked item making Briar Hearts unusable even after finishing the quest. To prevent this, ensure that you have no hearts in your inventory when the quest is started, and DO NOT pick up more than 1 heart until the quest is fully completed. It is possible to fix this bug on the PC version by typing the console code "player.removeitem 0003AD61 number" where number is the number of Briar hearts you want to remove from your inventory. This should fix it so that all subsequent Briar Hearts obtained by any means are able to be used as alchemy ingredients.
If you already have a
- Solution: Before you give the ingredients, you can eat the Briar Hearts to remove all but two of them from your inventory (3/3/12) as quest items cannot be eaten. Then give the ingredients to finish the quest, you will then have 1 Briar Heart and the bug will be gone.
- The quest objective "Take a Briar Heart" will not update if the item is already present in your inventory when the quest is acquired from Quintus Navale. To prevent this, drop the heart from your inventory before reading Quintus' letter, and pick it up again after you have finished the quest. PC users can use the following console command to fix the above mentioned bug: setobjectivecompleted MS12b 50 1 (If the quest chain don't go ahead type in the console: "SetStage MS12b 60" [PC tested]). This command will make the game acknowledge that there already is a Briar Heart quest item in your inventory, thus allowing you to proceed with the quest, providing the other two ingredients are also obtained.
- Briar Hearts in your inventory after you've already started the quest (and bug), and haven't yet learned the first Alchemy property of the Briar Heart, you can eat one of the hearts that is in your inventory, thereby destroying it, and allowing you to finish the quest with just one heart. After the quest is completed, any subsequent Briar Hearts picked up will no longer be marked as quest items and will function normally. If you have two
- Even after completing the prerequisite quests, you may not get this quest at all no matter how many days pass. Progressing the main story line has been known to fix this.
- Found that even before the Letter is delivered an read Briar Hearts become quest items 72 games hours after completing the White Phial quest. Ensure that you have zero Briar Hearts in your inventory after completing The White Phial, until this quest is complete.
- Sometimes even with all the ingredients in your inventory, the quest will not update with the dialog option to proceed the quest.
setstage ms12b 60into the console. Solution: Type
- Solution: Type
- Exiting the conversation with Quintus when he asks what you would like to fill the Phial with may cause him to "forget" that you have to choose your reward, thus resetting him to his normal conversation options.
- The mammoth tusk powder may not be inside the bowl by the giant.
- By attempting to use the White Phial (empty) it will create duplicates of the empty phial. They will not refill as the actual phial does.
- Completing the 'Repairing The Phial' quest while doing the Numbers Job for The White Phial shop will cause you to fail the Numbers Job, due to the shopkeeper dying as part of the quest, causing Delvin to say you killed the mark when you go to turn in the Numbers Job. To avoid this, complete the numbers job first if you are currently on this particular job.
- Once completed and possessing "the White Phial (Empty)" if you try to equip, it will create a duplicate in your inventory. These duplicates are created every time the "White Phial (Full)" is used.