|Restoration Ritual Spell|
|Quest Giver||Colette Marence|
|Location||The College of Winterhold|
|Prerequisite||Reach 90 Restoration |
Complete Good Intentions
|Reward||Master-level Restoration spells|
|Faction||The College of Winterhold|
- Gain the Augur's approval
Speak with Colette Marence in The College of Winterhold with a Restoration skill of 90+ to begin the quest. Colette can usually be found in The Arcanaeum or the Hall of Countenance. She tells the Dragonborn to go to The Midden and talk to the Augur of Dunlain.
After speaking with the Augur, the Dragonborn is stripped of all weapons, armor, and potions, leaving behind only the ability to use Restoration spells and dragon shouts. Afterward, the Dragonborn is attacked by three ghosts: one using Flames, one using Frostbite, and one using Sparks. Through the use of healing spells and wards, the Dragonborn must survive the attacks. Eventually, the Augur intervenes and the quest is complete.
- If any followers are present, they will retain all of their inventory and engage in combat with the ghosts. If nothing else, this will likely draw their attention, making the quest much easier.
- If the Dragonborn goes into sneak mode and remains unseen, two of the ghosts will eventually disappear. Engage the final remaining ghost for a much easier trial. Invisibility is an alternative for low-Sneak characters.
- The Alteration perk Atronach, all three ranks of Magic Resistance, and the Atronach standing stone will make the Dragonborn virtually immune to the spells of all three spirits. Due to the high Magicka absorption rate of this method, should damage become significant, there should be no shortage of Magicka for healing.
The spell Bane of the Undead will be added directly to the Dragonborn's spell list upon completing the Augur's challenge. Afterward, the other Master Restoration spell, Guardian Circle, will be available as a Spell Tome for purchase from Colette Marence.
- Sometimes, when the quest is finished, Colette Marence doesn't sell the Guardian Circle spell tome. Casting Bane of the Undead immediately after receiving it from the Auger may fix this.
- It is possible for multiple books to become purchasable. When fighting with the ghosts, repeatedly attempt to talk to the Augur of Dunlain right before and after they disappear. If this is done quickly enough, multiple Guardian Circle tomes will become available for sale to the player. Sometimes, the game may glitch and make the Augur repeat the acceptance line, achieving the same effect. To stop hearing the dialogue repeated constantly, leave the room and it should stop, but the animation will still follow (confirmed on 360 and PS3, unconfirmed on PC).
- The Augur may delay in taking the Dragonborn's equipment. In some cases, it never will, and an earlier save must be loaded.
- The game may freeze when trying to "step into the light" when the Augur commands. This may be solved by dropping ALL inventory items manually.
- Sometimes when bringing followers, one ghost will remain to attack them and the ghost can't die. This can be fixed by leaving the midden dark.
|College of Winterhold Quests|
|Main Quest||First Lessons • Under Saarthal • Hitting the Books • Good Intentions |
Revealing the Unseen • Containment • Staff of Magnus • The Eye of Magnus
|Side Quests||Arniel's Endeavor • J'zargo's Experiment • Brelyna's Practice|
Onmund's Request • Out of Balance • Rejoining the College
|Master Spell Quests||Alteration Ritual Spell • Destruction Ritual Spell • Conjuration Ritual Spell |
Illusion Ritual Spell • Restoration Ritual Spell
|Radiant Quests||Aftershock • Tolfdir the Absent-Minded • Fetch Me That Book! • Shalidor's Insights |
Enchanting Pick-Up • Restocking Soul Gems
|Other Quests||Lost Apprentices • Daedric Relic|