|Quest Giver||Mjoll the Lioness|
Mjoll the Lioness tells the Dragonborn that in her most recent endeavors she was nearly killed by a Dwarven Centurion in the ruins of Mzinchaleft. Barely alive, she was saved by Aerin who then brought her back to Riften and nursed her back to health, however she lost her sword, Grimsever.
To receive Mjoll's quest, the Dragonborn must be at least level 14 and Mjoll must like them. The easiest way to gain her favor is to simply agree with her that the Thieves Guild in Riften is evil. Alternatively, Mjoll's favor can be gained by performing favors for citizens of Riften.
- Locate Grimsever.
After that, the Dragonborn faces Dwarven sentinels. Dwarven Spiders and Spheres are encountered on the first level. The Mzinchaleft depths consist of several Falmer, two Chaurus, and one Falmer Gloomlurker.
To get to the final room, a series of levers must be toggled in order to enter. This puzzle is made much easier using Slow Time Dragon Shout or Whirlwind Sprint Dragon Shout to run past the moving bars. To solve the lever puzzle:
- When you enter the room, activate the lever (the First Lever).
- Enter the room to the east that just opened. Activate the lever (the Second Lever).
- Enter the room to the south. Activate the lever (the Third Lever).
- Head north back into the room with the Second Lever. Activate the Second Lever.
- Head west into the room with the First Lever. Do not activate the First Lever. Instead, turn south and enter the new room with the Fourth Lever. Activate the Fourth Lever.
- Head south into a new room with the Fifth Lever. Activate the Fifth Lever.
- Head north into the room with the Fourth Lever again. Activate the Fourth Lever.
- Head north into the room with the First Lever. Do not activate the First Lever. Instead, head east into the room with the Second Lever. Activate the Second Lever.
- Head south past the room with the Third Lever (do not activate it), and into the room with the valve. Activate the valve, and all gates will open.
In the final room, the Mzinchaleft Gatehouse (which also contains a passage to Blackreach), a leveled Dwarven Centurion and a Dwarven Sphere are found. Behind the Centurion is where Grimsever can be found, next to the splatter of blood.
Once Grimsever is taken, It can be returned to Mjoll to complete the quest. As a reward Mjoll will become available as follower.
- Once you have Mjoll as a follower, you can give her a better weapon, take Grimsever, then relieve her. This means you can permanently own Grimsever without any consequences.
- If you take this quest before completing the Harvesting Blood part of Discerning the Transmundane you can get all the Blood Samples from the bandits encountered at Mzinchaleft.
- Mjoll the Lioness if you get Grimsever before starting the quest. If you are unable to interact with Grimsever try stepping back a bit and use your bow and arrow to knock it off the ledge it sits on. Once you locate it on the ground you should be able to pick it up. You can't get the quest from
- Mjoll the Lioness then leveling up one level, either by saving levels or leveling up in the area and then open your skills menu to level up and then speaking to her a second time should open up the quest dialogue for 'Retrieve Grimsever'. If you are unable to receive the quest from