When Jagar Tharn took control of the Empire in 3E 389, Ria Silmane tried to warn the Elder Council of his treachery. However, before she could, Tharn used the Staff of Chaos and destroyed her corporeal body.
Using her powers as a sorceress, she fought going to the afterlife and instead appeared to the Eternal Champion in the Imperial Dungeons as an incorporeal spirit. She would have gone to the Elder Council instead, but she was killed close to Talin, and appearing to the Elder Council would have taken too much of her energy. She told the champion of Tharn's betrayal, freed him from his cell, and set him on his quest to obtain the Staff of Chaos. The more she used her powers after that, the shorter she could remain in the world, so she only appeared to the champion in his dreams from then on, which required less energy.
- It is written, and Silmane herself states that Silmane was executed by Tharn with the Staff of Chaos, while in-game he is depicted as killing her with some sort of spell with his hand.
- The Elder Scrolls: Arena
- The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall (Mentioned only) 
- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (Mentioned only) 
- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Mentioned only) 
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Mentioned only)