|This article or section is not written in the formal tone expected of an encyclopedia entry, meaning it relies heavily on colloquialisms and unprofessional verbiage. The perspective may be written from a first- or second- person point of view, when third person indirect is required. See the style sheet and the writing guideline for suggestions.|
Provides additional transformations for Werewolves
Cursed Ring of HircineEdit
The Cursed Ring of Hircine is obtained in the quest "Ill Met by Moonlight" from a prisoner called Sinding, who is imprisoned in Falkreath. Sinding murdered a girl at the lumber mill whilst unable to control his actions in werewolf form. He stole the ring to control his transformations, but Hircine, angered by the theft, cursed it to do the exact opposite. The Dragonborn is given the option to take ownership of the Ring of Hircine and be cursed, with the intention of returning it to is master.
Effect of the CurseEdit
The ring cannot be unequipped and the wearer of the ring will have a 10% chance to turn into a werewolf while outside a dungeon or city (however, after transforming into a werewolf manually or via the ring, it will un-equip the ring). This ring does not bestow the power of transformation at will. The form of the wolf is obtained only through The Companions questline, begun in Jorrvaskr in Whiterun. To keep the cursed variant, the unequipped cursed ring can be given to a follower before completing the quest.
"Uncursed" Ring of HircineEdit
The "purified" ring is granted to the Dragonborn by Hircine, who removes the curse, at the end of the quest "Ill Met by Moonlight." Choosing to help Sinding allows the Dragonborn to receive the ring once they leave the cave, but if Sinding is killed and skinned, the Savior's Hide is received instead. Alternatively, both the ring and hide can be obtained by helping Sinding kill the hunters, leaving the grotto to receive the ring, then going back inside the grotto, killing Sinding, skinning him and receiving the Savior's Hide.
Effect of the ringEdit
Equipping this ring grants unlimited transformations for werewolves. Upon use of the ring, the Dragonborn will assume their Beast Form, and after the bloodthirst has depleted, will transform back to their original form. The Dragonborn can simply re-equip the ring and use the power to transform into a werewolf again.
Equipping the Ring of Hircine will cause a power of the same name to appear in the Powers section of the Magic tab. It is activated in the same way as all other powers.
If the Dragonborn has already obtained and cured lycanthropy through the Companions, the ring has no effect. But, a recent effect of patches 1.3 and 1.4 allows the ring to be used even after being cured.
- Composed of silver and/or steel
- Adorned by a wolf's head
- Slightly smaller than Namira's ring
- When in Beast Form from the Ring of Hircine, the Dragonborn can sprint, roar, feed, and execute finishing animations, which still count as "Mauls" under General Stats. Using the power also counts as a Werewolf Transformation and will be listed as such.
- If the Dragonborn is a vampire, the ring cannot be unequipped and simply takes up the ring slot until it is removed by Hircine himself. The Dragonborn cannot change into a werewolf using the Cursed Ring of Hircine if they are currently a vampire.
- In Ysgramor's Tomb, the Dragonborn can cure themselves of Lycanthropy yet still keep their Beast Form ability. This can be achieved by using the ring, and defeating their spirit with their wolf form. It is complicated and may require more than one attempt, but putting the ring back on quickly after the battle is won then leaving the tomb quickly should keep Beast Form available to use.
- Giving the ring to a follower or a Companion Circle member does not give them the ability to turn into a werewolf.
- If the Dragonborn is already a werewolf, the Cursed Ring of Hircine can be unequipped, even without finishing the quest.
This section contains bugs related to Hircine's Ring (Skyrim). Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
|Click to see the list of bugs encountered|