| Base Damage:|
| Base Value:|
Does 20 points of Stamina damage.
|Class: Two-Handed, Battleaxe|
|Upgrade Material: Ebony Ingot|
It can be obtained during the Daedric quest A Daedra's Best Friend and may be granted as a reward from Clavicus Vile in exchange for the murder of Barbas. (Barbas must be killed with the axe, no other weapon will work.)
- The Rueful Axe will not count towards the achievements/trophies Daedric Influence and Oblivion Walker.
- The Rueful Axe swings much slower than any other weapon.
- The axe has two howling wolf motifs on the sides, a nod towards what became of Sebastian's daughter.
- "Tis a wicked axe you wield there, friend. That blade looks sharp enough to cut through a god." - Hold Guards, if wielding the axe
- "One of Clavicus's little jests. A wizard named Sebastian Lort had a daughter who worshipped Hircine. When the daughter became a werewolf it drove Sebastian over the edge. He couldn't stand to see his little girl take on such a bestial form. The wizard wished for the ability to end his daughter's curse. Clavicus gave him an axe." - Barbas, when asked about the axe.
- For a way to obtain both the Masque of Clavicus Vile and the Rueful Axe, see the "bugs" section on the A Daedra's Best Friend page.
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (First appearance)