| Base Damage:|
| Base Value:|
Does 20 points of Stamina damage.
|Class: Two-Handed, Battleaxe|
|Upgrade Material: Ebony Ingot|
It can be obtained during the Daedric quest A Daedra's Best Friend and may be granted as a reward from Clavicus Vile in exchange for killing Barbas. (Barbas must be killed with the axe, no other weapon will work.)
- The Rueful Axe does not count towards the achievements/trophies Daedric Influence and Oblivion Walker.
- The Rueful Axe swings much slower than any other weapon.
- The axe has two howling wolf motifs on the sides, a nod towards what became of Sebastian's daughter.
- "This a wicked axe you wield there, friend. That blade looks sharp enough to cut through a god." - Hold guards, if the axe is equipped.
- "One of Clavicus's little jests. A wizard named Sebastian Lort had a daughter who worshiped Hircine. When the daughter became a werewolf it drove Sebastian over the edge. He couldn't stand to see his little girl take on such a bestial form. The wizard wished for the ability to end his daughter's curse. Clavicus gave him an axe." - Barbas, when asked about the axe.
- For a way to obtain both the Masque of Clavicus Vile and the Rueful Axe, see the "bugs" section on the A Daedra's Best Friend page.
- If placed on a weapon rack in Hjerim, it will descend into the floor until it disappears. This bug is also associated with Volendrung. Also occurs at Lakeveiw, will sink progressively over time and will 'reset' if taken off and placed back again.
- on occasion the Rueful Axe will sound like a sword when unsheathing and sheathing