Runil was once a mighty Aldmeri Battlemage in the Great War. However, he laments having killed many people with his magic, but he is willing to train adventurers in the basics of Conjuration. He feels fortunate that Kust and the people of Falkreath have come to accept him as one of their own, and now solely preaches the word of Arkay.
Runil keeps a journal of regrets that he wishes not to forget. He lost the journal in a cave that he was exploring and asks for help in retrieving it.
He may be seen giving a service to Mathies and his wife, Indara Caerellia, after the murder of their daughter, Lavinia, at the hands of a werewolf. Speaking to Mathies after the service will prompt the quest, Ill Met by Moonlight.
Find Runil's JournalEdit
When talked to Runil, he will speak of a journal of his which was lost in a cave. The journal may be found in any un-explored cave.
- "Life is far too short, my friend. Don't waste it!"
- "Kust is responsible for the cemetery here in Falkreath. I take care of the shrine."
- "War is not new to Falkreath. One only has to look at the cemetery to see that."
- "I came into Arkay's light after the Great War. So many died by my hands, my magics. I'm grateful that Kust and the people of Falkreath have come to see me as one of their own."
- "Thank you. Its a collection of regrets that I try not to forget." - When returning his journal
- "Oh, merciful Arkay, no! I'm too old and frail, and this graveyard is too large. Kust is my assistant. He helps me tend the headstones and keep the cemetery clean, as befits a place of rest." - When asked if he tends the graveyard alone
When first entering Falreath, Runil will in the cemetery giving a eulogy for Lavinia, who has recently been killed:
"The god Arkay was once like us, bound to winding mortality. But he willingly gave up this existence so we might better understand the vagueries of life and death. It is through this ebb and flow of this cosmic tide that we find renewal, and in the end, peace. May the spirit of Lavinia and all those who have left this world of suffering know the beloved serenity of Aetherius...and may we one day rejoin them in eternity."
- The Dragonborn cannot receive Runil's quest if they are already helping Frida in Dawnstar. When the quest is finished, it will count towards helping the people of Falkreath if the player wishes to become Thane.
- The entire Aldmeri army that invaded Cyrodiil was known to have been annihilated by Titus Mede II during the Battle of the Red Ring in 4E 175. Runil must have either deserted his post during the battle or have been discharged from service or redeployed away from Cyrodiil by that point.
- He secretly worships Talos, which is revealed in his journal.
- His journal also tells of a vision he had, one that tells of an encounter with the Dragonborn, if the Dragonborn's first encounter with Runil is in the cemetery, while he is performing a service for Mathies's daughter, who was killed by Sinding.
- Despite being an ex-Aldmeri Battlemage and an adept Conjuration trainer, when in combat, he simply attempts to flee the scene without attempting to attack. However, if under the effects of Fury or Courage, he shall be entirely dependent on his iron dagger and will use no magic, even Conjuration, whatsoever.
- Runil has some similarities with the Court Wizard of Dawnstar, Modena, where they were both in the Great War (Runil in the Aldmeri Dominion, Modena with the Legion), both killed many with magic and regretted it later, and both retired afterwards.
This section contains bugs related to Runil. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Runil's eye textures may be displaced within Runil's eye sockets causing the player to see only the upper corners of Runil's eyes within the sockets, and oddly enough the eyelashes jotting out from the socket.