During the events of the Oblivion Crisis he goes missing, and his wife Tivela Lythandas is looking for him. She then requests help from the Hero, and it turns out he is stuck inside a world within his painting. The Hero and Rythe will then have to find a way to get back to Tamriel, which they succeed at.
Listening to rumors around Cheydinhal will lead to hearing of the disappearance of Rythe Lythandas, a famous painter, and that his wife Tivela is grieving and looking for help with finding her husband.
|Show: A Brush With Death|
|In Rythe Lythandas's House:
"Where did you come from? You look real enough. You must be from the outside! Oh, thank goodness someone finally came! While I'm overjoyed to see a friendly face, I'm afraid I have some bad news for you. You're stuck here like I am. Sorry to break it to you like that, but if it wasn't for that annoying thief, we wouldn't be in this predicament."
"Be cautious, friend."
Tivela: "Rythe! Oh my love! You are home safe... I was so afraid..."
Rythe: "If it wasn't for my friend here, you'd be right."
Tivela: "Come, you must need food and rest."
Rythe: "I will rest, but I must take care of our guest first."
- "I'll have to remember to remove the trolls from my painting before I complete this piece." – If asked about Painted Trolls for a second time.
- "Any luck yet?" – If spoken to before returning slaying the trolls.
- "I must have that Brush." – If spoken to after the trolls are slain.
- "Excellent work my friend! All we need is the Brush, and we can leave this place." – After killing the trolls.
- "Let me go paint us a way out of here." – After obtaining the Brush.
- "Good work! Now I can paint the portal home. After it's complete, you must go first or else you'd be stuck in here forever." – After returning the Brush of Truepaint.
- "No time to talk. Let's go home." – If attempted to talk to after painting the way back home.
- "I don't know how to thank you. You have a good heart to help get me back home. I'll never forget what you've done for me. Here, please take this apron as a token of your friendship. It's not much, but perhaps it will help you in the future. All I ask in return is to keep the Brush's existence secret. If word gets around that I have it, I'm afraid more than a lone cutpurse will visit me." – Upon completion of A Brush with Death.
- He is also mentioned in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, where Elgrim may ask Ingun Black-Briar to deliver a letter to Rythe in Cheydinhal for more Painted Troll Fat.
- On the Elder Scrolls Online website, there is a text adventure involving Rythe Lythandus hidden within the page's code.