They can present a challenge, particularly at lower levels, due to their high damage output and extremely rapid attacks. It is also possible to contract the disease Witbane from them. Animal Extermination quests may require a sabre cat to be killed.
The standard sabre cat has reddish-brown fur which helps it blend into grassy regions. The snowy version of the sabre cat has spotted white fur which it uses more for stalking than its cousin in the plains. Snowy sabre cats are typically found in the northern regions of Skyrim (as well as other snowy areas), especially around Dawnstar and Winterhold.
They occasionally travel in groups of two or three, though they usually travel alone. Once a sabre cat catches sight of prey, it will crouch and slowly move towards it until pouncing at the right moment. Due to their camouflaged coats, they can easily ambush an unwary traveller. They may lurk in nooks under hills just off the road, poised to ambush anyone who walks by. They rarely follow prey into water, so only a river that is deep enough to swim in can be used as an escape route. They are susceptible to Command Animal, and are sometimes summoned by spriggans.
In addition to the standard sabre cat, there is a subspecies known as the snowy sabre cat, which is much stronger and lives in snow-covered areas, like the regions around Windhelm and Winterhold. They can be distinguished from regular sabre cats by their cream colored coat.
Sabre Cat Guardian SpiritEdit
- Sabre Cat Pelt
- Eye of Sabre Cat
- Sabre Cat Tooth
- Gems, gold or jewelry can sometimes be looted from sabre cats.
- A sabre cat or cave bear may spawn at the Riverside Shack, depending on the Dragonborn's level.
- Kodlak Whitemane writes in his journal that Vilkas is "as fierce as a sabre cat."
- If the Dragonborn has a poor relationship with a character, the character may say to them that every time they looks at them, they imagine a Sabre Cat closing its claws around their face.
This section contains bugs related to Sabre Cat (Skyrim). Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- They may fail to respawn due to missing respawn flag.
- Rarely when in rocky mountain areas, it is possible to lead a Sabre cat down the mountain towards a river while sprinting, cross over the river, and the Sabre Cat will be spinning in the rocks, trying to decide which way to go.
- In the plains outside Whiterun, if the Dragonborn attempts to attack the sabre cat, they will freeze in place and cannot move or look anywhere. The HUD also disappears. The sabre cat will still attack, but will be unable to do any damage towards the Dragonborn. Followers such as Cicero will still attack and kill the sabre cat, and shortly after the sabre cat is killed, the Dragonborn will become unfrozen.
- The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall (appears as Sabertooth Tiger)
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- The Elder Scrolls Online
|Creatures and Enemies (The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim)|
|Animals||Ants • Bear • Cave Bear • Chicken • Cow • Deer • Dog • Elk • Fox • Goat • Hawk • Horker • Horse|
Ice Wolf • Mammoth • Mudcrab • Rabbit • Sabre Cat • Salmon • Skeever • Slaughterfish • Snow Bear • Snow Fox • Wolf
|Creatures||Chaurus • Frostbite Spider • Frost Troll • Giant • Hagraven • Ice Wraith • Spriggan • Troll|
|Daedra||Dremora • Flame Atronach • Frost Atronach • Storm Atronach|
|Undead||Corrupted Shade • Dragon Priest • Draugr • Ghost • Magic Anomaly • Skeleton|
Subjugated Ghost • Wisp • Wispmother • Vampire
|Animunculi||Dwarven Centurion • Dwarven Sphere • Dwarven Spider|
|Dragons||Dragon • Blood Dragon • Frost Dragon • Elder Dragon • Ancient Dragon • Skeletal Dragon|