| Base Value:|
Sawn Logs are building materials introduced in The Elder Scrolls V: Hearthfire.
Lumber can be purchased from the owner of most lumber mills throughout Skyrim or indirectly through a steward. The fixed rate is 20 sawn logs for 200. The Dragonborn may also ask permission to cut logs for free from mill owners. Each log cut will yield ten sawn logs. Mill owners will only allow the Dragonborn to use their mill if they view him or her as a friend. The easiest way to do this is to sell them some firewood, which can often be cut nearby. They are more likely to agree if they are at home, instead of working at the mill. This is not always necessary, however, as Hod will agree even at the mill, saying "Sure thing, friend. I can use a break anyway." It is worth noting that the 'sawn' logs (10) are collected when the log pile is next activated. As this may be bugged, it is advisable to avoid Mixwater Mill for this.
Unlike other building materials, sawn logs are not added to the inventory. Rather, they are delivered to the building site of the homestead. At the building site, they exist as a physical object called a "Log Pile". It's possible to see how many are available by looking at the logs. However, even though it appears the log pile can be activated, clicking on it does nothing.
The following is a full list of mills around Skyrim:
- Anga's Mill
- Deadwood Lumber Mill
- Half-Moon Mill
- Heartwood Mill
- Mixwater Mill
- Solitude Sawmill
- If the sawn logs the Dragonborn cuts don't show up and they don't have the gold to buy them, it takes about four minutes real time to chop enough firewood (40 pieces) at a mill to pay for 20 logs. A woodcutter's axe is needed, which may not be easily found at the chosen mill.
- Lakeview Manor, the objective marker may point to Half-Moon Mill, however upon arrival there will be no owner to buy lumber from. This only occurs if Hert and Hern were killed in the Dark Brotherhood quest Contract: Kill Hern. Buying lumber from another mill will remove the marker.
When instructed to buy lumber for
- Sometimes this will occur regardless of progress into the Dark Brotherhood quest line. Reverting to an earlier save may fix this.
- Logs may appear in the inventory under misc with the appearance of elven boots.
- Upon cutting logs at a mill, no logs are awarded. Asking to buy lumber and choosing, "Can't I just cut the lumber myself?" will grant permission again, but still no logs may appear in inventory. This can also occur if the Dragonborn cuts logs at a mill without talking to the owner (e.g. Half Moon Mill after Hert and Hern are dead).
- It is possible to work around this by asking permission while a log is running through the sawmill. The normal set of ten logs should be awarded when the next log is loaded after the sawmill resets. Obtaining further logs will require fresh permission each time while a log is running through.
|Small House • Main Hall • Cellar • Alchemy Laboratory • Armory • Bedrooms • Enchanter's Tower|
Greenhouse • Kitchen • Library • Storage Room • Trophy Room • All Totals
|Clay • Glass • Goat Horns • Hinge • Iron Fittings • Lock • Nails • Quarried Stone • Sawn Log • Straw|
|Heljarchen Hall • Lakeview Manor • Windstad Manor|