|Quest Giver||Mercer Frey|
|Location||The Winking Skeever, Solitude, Brinewater Grotto, East Empire Company Warehouse|
|Next Quest||Speaking With Silence|
|Reward||Assorted Soul Gems|
Upgraded Thieves Guild Armor
|Type||Thieves Guild, Main quest|
- Speak to Mercer Frey.
- (Optional) Speak to Brynjolf.
- Speak to Gulum-Ei.
- Shadow Gulum-Ei.
- Confront Gulum-Ei.
- Return to Mercer Frey.
- Speak to Mercer Frey
- Mercer thinks he may have finally caught the Guild's anonymous adversary slipping up. From the note you provide, he deduces that they are likely using an old Guild contact at the East Empire Trading Company in Solitude as a go between. He figures Gulum-Ei and wants you to confront him and shake him down for information.
- If you chose to speak to Brynjolf before you leave he'll give you more details of who Gulum-Ei is and his involvement with the Guild. He tells you that Gulum-Ei has no honor and in order to gain any useful information from him, you will need to either buy him off or follow him in order to gain information that could be used as leverage against him. Either way, Brynjolf makes it clear... Do Not Kill Gulum-Ei. If you do, you won't get any reward from Mercer Frey.
- Speak to Gulum-Ei
- Gulum-Ei will most likely be in the Winking Skeever in Solitude.
- Using the Amulet of Dibella and a potion to increase Speech, a persuade attempt will work if you have a high enough skill.
- He plays stupid at first, without a high enough Speech skill, bribing him is the only way to get information. If the Bribe option is selected, he will tell you that he has a client that wants a case of Firebrand Wine, which can be stolen from the Blue Palace.
- Getting the wine is easy enough, just head over to the Blue Palace and pick it up. It's relatively close to the entrance, the player should be able to follow the quest marker and compass to locate the wine.
- He claims not to know anything except that the woman in question has a grudge against Mercer Frey.
- Shadow Gulum-Ei
- He heads out of Solitude down towards the docks and into the East Empire Company Warehouse. You may pickpocket Gulum-Ei for the key to the warehouse.
- For this you may find it is easier to stay on top of the shelves to follow him since the guards are always patrolling, there's a ramp just behind the small hut as you walk in. Remaining in the water below the docks is equally effective. Be careful not to get caught by the guards or Gulum-Ei, as they will then attack the Dragonborn; they can be killed for no bounty, however.
- When you get to the end of the shelves go up the stairs and straight on, there's a small ledge you can walk across then drop down onto the walkway. At this stage the easiest way to follow him is just to drop into the water and move as slowly and quietly as possible. Follow him out of the water, up a ramp through a hidden door.
- At the farthest northern point is an elevated building. To get to the building there is another ramp leading up to the left of the one to the hidden door. Inside the building on a table is the East Empire Shipping Map, which can be sold to Delvin.
- Alternative: Swim directly across the bay and wait for him under the docks, then follow him into Brinewater Grotto.
- Confront Gulum-Ei
- You find yourself in Brinewater Grotto which has several hostile bandits, you have two choices here, sneak past (rather difficult at lower levels) or eliminate them. If you chose to sneak, beware of a bandit swimming in the water. For some reason, you can sneak past him underwater. There is a chest underwater where he is. There is a way to get by the bandit in the water and the one on top, After seeing the two bandits on the dock talking to each other and right before going up those stairs look to your right and you will see a spider web. Cut it down with your weapon and continue through. You will have to fight three frostbite spiders. Note that the bandits are levelled, and that engaging one can alert the others, making the ensuing fight very difficult. One effective strategy is to climb up on top of the cages where Gulum-Ei is found and use a bow or spells from there, as the bandits cannot reach you.
- When you get to the end of the line and confront him, he tells you the person you are after. Her name is Karliah. You're apparently supposed to know who she is. She murdered the former Guild Master and is now after Mercer. Gulum-Ei pleads innocent. Though, you're free to kill him if you choose to do so. If spared, he becomes available as a fence. Killing him will also forfeit your reward from Mercer.
- Return to Mercer Frey
- Return to Mercer with the location Gulum-Ei said she was headed 'Where the End Began.'
- Three Soul Gems (randomly generated)
- Gulum-Ei as a fence.
- Deed to Goldenglow Estate
- Able to upgrade one piece of your Thieves Guild Armor (after completing the quest, with Tonilia) :
- Hood - Prices are 15% better (up 5% from 10%).
- Cuirass - Carrying capacity increased to 35 points (up 15 points from 20 points).
- Gloves - Lockpicking is 25% easier (up 10% from the 15%).
- Boots - Pickpocket success is 25% better (up 10% from the 15%).
This section contains bugs related to Scoundrel's Folly. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
|Click to show|